Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What in the tun this weekend?  (Read 9024 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: What in the tun this weekend?
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 03:44:14 pm »
Cellar work here myself. Gotta bottle two entries for NHC and make rom in a keg for the last one. I am jealous of you guys with 5-10 kegs. It's hard to work with two.

15 kegs and I can't find an empty one, mort. It's like buying bigger pants. You expand to fill them and always need more capacity.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 03:57:44 pm »
No brewing, but perhaps the Blackhawks/Penguins game at Soldier Field in the 20 degree temp plus wind.  Doesn't sound wise, though, as I type it out.

I'll be curious what will be visible once the snow starts. Watching on TV in my living room, that is!

I'm brewing a bitter on Sunday while the wife watches the Oscars.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 05:03:30 pm »
No brewing, but perhaps the Blackhawks/Penguins game at Soldier Field in the 20 degree temp plus wind.  Doesn't sound wise, though, as I type it out.

I'll be curious what will be visible once the snow starts. Watching on TV in my living room, that is!

I'm brewing a bitter on Sunday while the wife watches the Oscars.

My ticket didn't come through, so I'll be watching on TV as well.

As for snow, it's been snowing all day here on the lake front but getting heavier every hour.  It's Saturday, so we must get snow.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 05:46:17 pm »
Cellar work here myself. Gotta bottle two entries for NHC and make rom in a keg for the last one. I am jealous of you guys with 5-10 kegs. It's hard to work with two.

15 kegs and I can't find an empty one, mort. It's like buying bigger pants. You expand to fill them and always need more capacity.

I actually have 6 out of 16 filled and (was) feeling good about myself. ;) I'm doing a brew-rack day every two weeks to ramp up production.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 06:39:35 pm »

I actually have 6 out of 16 filled and (was) feeling good about myself. ;) I'm doing a brew-rack day every two weeks to ramp up production.

Various stages of "full."  One has root beer. Some are low. Two have commercial beer in them. Two I could dump but I'm aging for the heck of it.

Plus two 3 gallons and two 2.5. I brew more than I drink.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 09:09:13 pm »
Brewing a Hefe tomorrow that I call Clove Grove Hefeweizen and bottling my Irish Red Head in the morning. It's friction cold here in Colorado Springs. I like brewing in the winter time cause the ground water going through my immersion chiller is so cold.
How is it in Colorado Springs? It's 8F here in eastern Iowa and snowing. I brewed a helles today and the tap water got my 4 gallons of wort down to 50 in about 20 minutes. I love it!
Jesse

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 08:14:42 am »
Yesterday was a brew day.  I racked a German Pilsner to a lagering keg to make way for this year's Maibock.  I brew the Pils, ferment it, then reuse the yeast (WY2206) for the Maibock.  Checked on the Pils in the fermenting fridge a few minutes ago and there is steady activity in the airlock.  Pitched at 46F, and primary is running at 49F. 

I definitely picked the right day to brew this weekend.  Yesterday, it was sunny and almost 40F outside.  This morning, we've had 3" of snow (so far) and it's holding steady at 10F outside.  Gotta love winter in Cleveland!   
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2014, 10:09:31 am »
Well, I just wimped out as it was 6F this morning so I put the brew plans on hold until Friday when it's supposed to be close to 40!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 10:13:24 am »
Well, I just wimped out as it was 6F this morning so I put the brew plans on hold until Friday when it's supposed to be close to 40!

Yeah, this winter I've moved more batches inside than ever before. We're gonna break the all time Indiana snow record with what's falling now, and there's evidently another storm probably coming through next weekend. "Over it" isn't doing justice any more !
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 10:30:40 am »

Yeah, this winter I've moved more batches inside than ever before. We're gonna break the all time Indiana snow record with what's falling now, and there's evidently another storm probably coming through next weekend. "Over it" isn't doing justice any more !

Seriously! Just read that this winter is now the third snowiest and on the verge of being the third coldest as well in Chicago history. I remember the previous two, but then again, I wasn't an outdoor brewer either :o
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2014, 11:43:51 am »

I was eyeing some at the LHBS yesterday, but resisted temptation. I have twice the number you have!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2014, 12:28:07 pm »
Alright all you braggarts, I think each if you should send me one of your kegs.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 12:48:00 pm »

It was 80° here yesterday and I wore shorts and flip flops while running errands. Last night I left the windows open because it was too warm to sleep. Today, 32° with patches of snow & frozen rain.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 02:33:57 pm »
I'm working on a special/best/premium bitter. Trying out First Gold hops for the first time. Anybody use those before?
Think I'll call it Most Premium Bitter.

What else is going on out there?

I Love First Gold. Nice fruitiness and a lot golding spiciness. My best results came with a big addition in the 20-15 min range.

Otherwise, I am brewing a Landbier. Pils, Munich, and a touch of caramunich I. Haven't decided on the hops yet. 833 for the yeast. I believe this to have been the 2nd best beer I have brewed in the past. Looking forward to seeing what the adjustments this time make.
Magnum for bittering and Hallertau Mittlefruh worked well for the one I did last year. That one was yummy, and you can start drinking it on the young side as it makes a nice Kellerbier.

Yeah, Mittlefruh is what I went with last year. Very good. Didn't have that around, so I went with Sterling and Mt. Hood. Ended up making ten gallons, and am going to split between 833 and a Czech pils yeast.
Kyle M.

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2014, 02:39:20 pm »
Brewing a Hefe tomorrow that I call Clove Grove Hefeweizen and bottling my Irish Red Head in the morning. It's friction cold here in Colorado Springs. I like brewing in the winter time cause the ground water going through my immersion chiller is so cold.
How is it in Colorado Springs? It's 8F here in eastern Iowa and snowing. I brewed a helles today and the tap water got my 4 gallons of wort down to 50 in about 20 minutes. I love it!

The weather here has been really bipolar. It's warm one day and then today it's 9 degrees on my porch. I won't back down though. It's not windy and I am set to brew in four hours come hell or high water. Yeah I love how cold the tap water is here to, makes for easy chilling.