Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bigfoot Vertical '95 2003-1014  (Read 2198 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Bigfoot Vertical '95 2003-1014
« on: February 28, 2014, 02:52:06 pm »
This was done a few weeks back. Fun day with plenty of food and drink, along with some friends. This is what I wrote down, and of course there was much talking with friends, eating, and fun, so it was not a full review for each.

For most of us we liked the 09-11 range. A couple like it fresh. One couple are more wine drinkers, and they loved the 95, as it reminded them of a Port wine.

95 Only a small 'pfft' when cap came off. Low/no carbonation, almost still. Figs, raisins, cherries, full of sherry notes. No hop aroma or flavor, low bitterness.

03 Medium low carbonation. Lower oxidation. Some woody oxidation from hops. Slight mustyness. Some sherry.

04 Medium low carbonation, more than 03. Some hop aroma and flavor at low levels. No sherry notes. Bitterness is coming up.

05 Better carbonation. Brilliant color, others were a little murky before. Clean malt flavors. More hop flavor and aroma now. Bitterness lingers a little.

06 Similar to 05, the hops are a little more apparent. More bitterness. Bigfoot territory.

07 Like 06 but the bitterness has gone up more.

08 Big jump in carbonation. Good head formation and retention. Some yeasty esters and fruitiness. Citrus and pine from the hops. Big jump in bitterness. This is much fresher due to the pry off cap and better liner.

09 Really drinking well. Better balance than the 08.

10 Nice hop aroma at lower levels. Clean malt. Balance has gone to bitterness in the finish.

11 About the same as the 10

12 Nice malty aromas, can get the crystal malt. Bitterness hangs in after finish, drying.

13 Some yeast esters. Hops in the aroma, pine and citrus. Hop flavor rolls on the tongue front to back. Hops dominate the malt, you get a little crystal. Bitterness really is there and lingers.

14 A hop bomb, it makes my teeth tingle. Big aroma and flavor of hops.

That was it for the 95 and the 03 vintages. I do have 04 through 14 left, so we can do another some year.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Bigfoot Vertical '95 2003-1014
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 02:59:52 pm »
That sounds like a great time. Thanks for the info.
Dan Chisholm

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 03:20:34 pm »
nice,

not too far off my notes on the ones that match (thanks again)

I was blown away but the '08 my favorite by far.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 03:29:45 pm »
Why do you think the older ones are less carbonated?

I can't imagine the caps leak.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 03:36:56 pm »

prior to 2008 they used twist off non-o2 barrier caps, in 2008 they switched. it is markedly different.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 03:48:39 pm »
Whoa, very nice Jeff. I had a smaller tasting on New Year's Eve, going back to 2008.  Similarly, my friend and I liked 2009 best, while another friend liked 2010 best. Not surprisingly, our wives opted for something different ( and possibly inferior). Need to get the new vintage.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 03:57:08 pm »
Tangent - if you like stubby bottles, session now use pry offs as well. Think they change sometime in 2013

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 04:09:14 pm »

Sierra Nevada went to the pry off cap when they found a superior liner material. That material had much less O2 permeability, but required a high clamp load, so they went to pry off. I was looking at CO2 permeability, and it is even higher for most polymers. The level of CO2 in beer is fairly high so it takes time for it to diffuse out. The O2 gets in due to the partial pressure of the atmosphere vs. almost none in the bottle.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 06:29:13 pm »

Sierra Nevada went to the pry off cap when they found a superior liner material. That material had much less O2 permeability, but required a high clamp load, so they went to pry off. I was looking at CO2 permeability, and it is even higher for most polymers. The level of CO2 in beer is fairly high so it takes time for it to diffuse out. The O2 gets in due to the partial pressure of the atmosphere vs. almost none in the bottle.

that's interesting. gotta love science!
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 07:14:09 am »

But tight enough that there's no evaporation?  Interesting.  Maybe I should consider wax for beers I'm storing long term....
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 07:29:54 am »

But tight enough that there's no evaporation?  Interesting.  Maybe I should consider wax for beers I'm storing long term....
I don't know about evaporation. Will look at the levels in the Bigfoot collection in the basement.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild