Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2014 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot  (Read 2533 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
2014 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
« on: January 12, 2014, 07:24:56 pm »
well what did I see at the store today? a big ol' stack of 2014 expedition. woo hoo!

Later this month I will be posting the full 10 year vertical notes (Thanks to Jeff and Susan Rankert and Sarah and Eric Gangebin) but for now we'll just discuss the 2014 by itself.

First impression is that it is not nearly so bitter as the 2013 was new. There is still plenty of bitterness there to balance a big malty beer but it is considerably subdued compared to the 2013. I do not recall clearly enough the 2012 when it was new to make a comparison. It will be interesting to see how this beer ages next to the other 4 years I will have left after my birthday and the other years in the future.

On second tasting I would say that it's not the bitterness so much that is subdued but the harsh/grassy/astringent bitter notes that I usually get from this beer when it is young.

overall a tasty sipper just days after it's birthday. yum
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: 2014 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 06:21:17 am »
well what did I see at the store today? a big ol' stack of 2014 expedition. woo hoo!

Later this month I will be posting the full 10 year vertical notes (Thanks to Jeff and Susan Rankert and Sarah and Eric Gangebin) but for now we'll just discuss the 2014 by itself.

First impression is that it is not nearly so bitter as the 2013 was new. There is still plenty of bitterness there to balance a big malty beer but it is considerably subdued compared to the 2013. I do not recall clearly enough the 2012 when it was new to make a comparison. It will be interesting to see how this beer ages next to the other 4 years I will have left after my birthday and the other years in the future.

On second tasting I would say that it's not the bitterness so much that is subdued but the harsh/grassy/astringent bitter notes that I usually get from this beer when it is young.

I agree, the 2014 seems noticeably less hoppy to me.  Not worse by any means - it's always a great beer.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 08:33:10 am »

I agree, the 2014 seems noticeably less hoppy to me.  Not worse by any means - it's always a great beer.

I cracked into a bottle of the 2013 later last night, you know, just for comparison  ::) and it was STILL noticeably more bitter than the 2014. I don't know if I would say it was more hoppy but the hoppiness was more edgy.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 09:09:15 am »
My club did a vertical tasting event last month on Bigfoot, 2014 to 1994. Yes, I'd agree that 2014 is much more approachable in its youth. I'd say it drinks like an nice IIPA. Its not harsh like in years past. From that vertical, it seems that Bigfoot peaks at about 6 years old. I'm wondering if this newest version is going to age similarly?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 10:10:54 am »
6 years is also the peak in my experience. One needs to know that they went to the pry off that let's much less O2 through the cap in 2008 (I think - too pooped from working out to go downstairs and check).  Will that shift the aging time on the newer ones? I asked Jonathan to report back on that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 02:10:14 pm »
Finally snagged a 4pk early this week and had my first one last night.  Really, really enjoyed it - malt flavor and hop flavor equally dialed up to 11 on this one, just a powerful assault of both resiny citrusy hop and bittersweet dark caramelly-malt.  But not abrasive or harsh.  Kinda strikes me as what some breweries are fashioning now as an Imperial Red/Amber ale.

I always enjoy Bigfoot, but I would say this is the best it has been in this decade at least.  Will be drinking it fresh and young though - I'm finding I don't care for it old - like it fresh and hoppy!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 02:16:41 pm »
I'm still finding 2013 bottles here. Maybe 2014 will be out before 2015.