Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing other's recipes for competitions?  (Read 3591 times)

fistfullofhops

Brewing other's recipes for competitions?
« on: February 28, 2014, 09:23:47 pm »
What's the stance on this? Is it frowned upon to brew someone else's recipe for a competition? I'm trying to focus on simple recipes that are tried and true. Most of them are turning out ok but a couple are really turning out nice. I'd like to enter a competition just to get some feedback to help me isolate issues in my process.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Brewing other's recipes for competitions?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 09:30:46 pm »
It is NOT frowned upon to brew someone else's recipe to enter into competition.  You still brewed it yourself and that is all that matters.  Go for it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 11:32:04 pm »
If I had a book that I sold you containing a recipe that I won an award with, one for say 80 different styles, I'd be more that proud to see a thousand people win their own awards with them too.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 11:34:10 pm »
There is so much more to producing a quality beer than the recipe. Even if everyone brewed the exact same recipe, no two would taste the exact same.

And frankly for a lot of styles the majority of the recipes are going to be pretty close. If you needed a unique recipe, then they might as well shut down the whole Bohemian Pilsner category for eternity. It is certainly not frowned upon to brew someone else's recipe for a competition.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 06:07:56 am »
It is a brewing Competion, not a recipe competition.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 06:24:38 am »
Honestly, I have many recipes that I have brewed many times each.  Not of one of them has been exactly like any other.  Minor ingredient changes and my mood on brew day make every one unique.  Just like all the others.  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 06:28:48 am »
Judging the Specialty category last year at NHC we must have had four versions of Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 06:29:43 am »
There is so much more to producing a quality beer than the recipe. Even if everyone brewed the exact same recipe, no two would taste the exact same.

And frankly for a lot of styles the majority of the recipes are going to be pretty close. If you needed a unique recipe, then they might as well shut down the whole Bohemian Pilsner category for eternity. It is certainly not frowned upon to brew someone else's recipe for a competition.

+1
Jon H.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 07:25:06 am »
+1 to all of the above.

Especially in BJCP competitions - invariably you are going to be brewing "someone else's recipe"...... that is the nature of a style guideline.  There are only so many ways to brew a bo-pils, or ordinary bitter - the odds are if you have something truly unique, you have brewed something out of style.

If I am looking to brew a style that is somewhat new to me, I always start in one of two places - I either start with the recipe out of "Brewing Classic Styles" or I start with a recipe from the NHC Gold Medal Database....... generally I will tweak them over time a bit, so I suppose they are a bit different from the original at some point. Ultimately, though, it is process that is being judged.  10 people could brew the same recipe and end up with 10 different beers due to process, temperatures, water, quality of yeast starter, sanitation, etc.

I would say that if you find success with some source of a recipe it is good to give some credit where credit might be due.  I use recipes out of "Brewing Classic Styles" - I also recommend people buy the book anytime someone asks about a good source of recipes.  I have good success with british ordinary bitters in competition - my recipe is based on "The Innkeeper" off of Northern Brewer - I recommend the kit to many people.  Or, if you find the recipe on a forum or know the source - my guess is those people would love to hear that it did well for you too.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 07:27:31 am »

Judging the Specialty category last year at NHC we must have had four versions of Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter.
only four?
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 09:38:41 am »

Please accept my apology...
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 06:15:09 pm »

only four?

There were three panels of judges.  I don't know what the others got.
Apologies accepted, Denny.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 04:53:21 am »
I'd say that beer quality is 80-90% technique and only 10-20% recipe. So if you brew it, it doesn't matter where the recipe came from.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 06:28:31 pm »
Honestly some styles can be brewed with just 1 malt... I guess you still have to pick hops and when to add them... Then others are pretty much set in their ways.  Recipe is low on the totem pole.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 10:22:58 am »
I prety much brew original recipes if only because I have a devil of a time following directions/recipes.  If you happen to feel bad about brewing a published/well known reciupe, change it up a little and make it your own.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO