Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Duplicating the best DIPA's at home  (Read 4236 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Duplicating the best DIPA's at home
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 12:13:27 pm »
And maybe it goes without saying, but make sure you;re using the best quality hops you can find.  Dry hopping is not the place to try to use up your old hops.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jmwrightmegg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 12:15:05 pm »
And maybe it goes without saying, but make sure you;re using the best quality hops you can find.  Dry hopping is not the place to try to use up your old hops.
OK, so that begs another question:  via mail, where do you all recommend I get my hops?  I usually use Morebeer.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 12:16:34 pm »
OK, so that begs another question:  via mail, where do you all recommend I get my hops?  I usually use Morebeer.

Where abouts are you from if you don't mind me asking?
Frank

Offline jmwrightmegg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 12:22:55 pm »

CA Sierra Foothills, near Sacramento.  I am not really close to any metropolitan area, so I prefer to use mail order for ingredients.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 12:43:49 pm »
OK, so in reading all of your responses, it looks like to take my IPA's to the next level, I need to use at least one pound of hops per 5 gal. batch, utilize a hop stand of at least 1 oz. per gallon, make sure to rack to secondary before dry hopping, and maybe dry hop more than once.  That gives me a good direction, thanks everyone.

Just be sure to purge your secondary with Co2 before racking. A corny keg works best.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 12:50:52 pm »

CA Sierra Foothills, near Sacramento.  I am not really close to any metropolitan area, so I prefer to use mail order for ingredients.

Brewmeister is a good shop for ingredients. Two locations, Roseville and Folsom. Stay away from Homebrew outlet. I haven't been to BFD in a very long time, but when I had gone there the owner was not at all knowledgable. He told a buddy that he can sub Caramunich when he was out of Munich. :-/

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 12:56:40 pm »
Some others on the forum have suggested "Hop Heaven". I contract a lot of my hops from Ted. Not sure how to buy from him on the homebrew level but his hops are top notch. Maybe someone who buys from him can tell where they get them from (ebay?).

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 01:18:38 pm »

The best hops I've ever gotten come from Hop Heaven.  Ted goes to Yakima and hand selects the hops he buys.  You can find them on eBay.  Hops Direct and Freshops are also great sources.  Places like MoreBeer buy their hops from these guys, so you can eliminate a step.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 01:19:46 pm »
Some others on the forum have suggested "Hop Heaven". I contract a lot of my hops from Ted. Not sure how to buy from him on the homebrew level but his hops are top notch. Maybe someone who buys from him can tell where they get them from (ebay?).

Yep, eBay.  I just dry hopped an IPA with some hops I got from him and it's so good!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 01:40:29 pm »

Google hopmeister, they are a hop farm in lake county. if they sell to any retail outlets they are probably going to be the freshest for us given they were grown here. They used to sell stuff to 7 bridges which does all organic. They are out of santa cruz. It's where I get my hops and they are always well sealed and fresh.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 07:38:17 pm »

The best hops I've ever gotten come from Hop Heaven.  Ted goes to Yakima and hand selects the hops he buys.  You can find them on eBay.  Hops Direct and Freshops are also great sources.  Places like MoreBeer buy their hops from these guys, so you can eliminate a step.

I'll vouch for Ted as well. Great hops. Yakima Valley Hops is also fantastic, and they're the only place that sells Caliente as far as I'm aware. I also use Hops Direct, Freshops and Farmhouse Brewing Supply to feed my hop addiction.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 07:42:52 pm »
+1 to Yakima Valley Hops - very good selection. I like the others as well.
Jon H.

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 09:23:32 pm »
I got Caliente from homebrew Mart/ ballast point last year.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles