Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bias in BJCP judging?  (Read 14432 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Bias in BJCP judging?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 08:19:09 am »
The most obvious difference between apple-like esters and acetaldehyde is I get a very tin-like metallic taste with acetaldehyde, especially at higher levels. Bud definitely does not have that.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 07:54:54 pm »
I decided to take Alewyfe's suggestion to heart.   It's definitely easier to throw stones than it is step in and attempt to make a difference.  I took and passed the BJCP Entrance Exam today.  Now, I just need to pass the BJCP Beer Judging Exam within the next year.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 08:59:24 pm »
I decided to take Alewyfe's suggestion to heart.   It's definitely easier to throw stones than it is step in and attempt to make a difference.  I took and passed the BJCP Entrance Exam today.  Now, I just need to pass the BJCP Beer Judging Exam within the next year.
Excellent. +1
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 04:02:43 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 09:20:53 pm »

way to go. I'm looking forward to my prep class and test later this year. good luck!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 09:27:56 pm »
Good job.

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 09:35:12 pm »
Great job!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 06:40:27 am »

Excellent! "Better to light a single candle..."

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 07:06:19 am »
Excellent. +1

Woooot!!!  :D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 07:12:28 am »
Way to go!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2014, 07:17:50 am »
Nice job !
Jon H.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2014, 08:27:10 am »
Congrats.  Now make sure you get on the list early for the next tasting exam near you.  They fill up quick... but there are always people that drop it last minute so at least get on the waitlist for them.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2014, 08:36:29 am »
way to go. I'm looking forward to my prep class and test later this year. good luck!

I definitely recommend taking a prep class if one is available.  I did not take it.   In fact, I only started to review the BJCP study materials on Sunday evening.  However, I am definitely the exception, not the rule.  The test is open book.  However, one has exactly 18 seconds to answer each question; therefore, one needs to know the material fairly well.  For me, the multiple choice questions where the candidate is asked to select all of the answers that apply were the toughest to answer.

It really helped me to work a competition as a steward before taking the entrance exam.  It's not a prestigious position, and you may get ribbed about being your flight's beer wench.  However, working as a steward at competition exposed me to all of the facets of a competition, not just judging.  As a steward, I had to interface with my flight judging panels as well as the cellar master, competition organizer, and the judge director.  I also filled out the cover and flight summary sheets for the flights that I worked.  While a steward is not an official evaluator, stewards are allowed to sample the entries in an unofficial capacity as part of the apprenticeship process.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2014, 08:56:46 am »

I definitely recommend taking a prep class if one is available.  I did not take it.   In fact, I only started to review the BJCP study materials on Sunday evening.  However, I am definitely the exception, not the rule.  The test is open book.  However, one has exactly 18 seconds to answer each question; therefore, one needs to know the material fairly well.  For me, the multiple choice questions where the candidate is asked to select all of the answers that apply were the toughest to answer.

It really helped me to work a competition as a steward before taking the entrance exam.  It's not a prestigious position, and you may get ribbed about being your flight's beer wench.  However, working as a steward at competition exposed me to all of the facets of a competition, not just judging.  As a steward, I had to interface with my flight judging panels as well as the cellar master, competition organizer, and the judge director.  I also filled out the cover and flight summary sheets for the flights that I worked.  While a steward is not an official evaluator, stewards are allowed to sample the entries in an unofficial capacity as part of the apprenticeship process.
Yes judge and steward prior to taking the tasting exam.  It will help you a lot.  You will also earn judging points retroactively for up to 2 years prior to passing the exam.  So if you judge 1 session in 5 competitions before taking the exam you would have your 5 points immediately upon passing the tasting exam and skip being recognized altogether.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2014, 09:09:10 am »
Judging helps a lot with the exam.

You will also earn judging points retroactively for up to 2 years prior to passing the exam. 
I've never seen a time limit on retroactive points and I know for certain it's at least 3 years. The only limit I know of is retroactive continuing education points.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2014, 09:11:20 am »

Yes judge and steward prior to taking the tasting exam.  It will help you a lot.  You will also earn judging points retroactively for up to 2 years prior to passing the exam.  So if you judge 1 session in 5 competitions before taking the exam you would have your 5 points immediately upon passing the tasting exam and skip being recognized altogether.

I have stewarded and will again before I take the class and the exam. I'm not so much worried about the entrance exam. I took the sample they had up when they first introduce the online exam and did just fine on the spur of the moment. It's the tasting exam that's gonna be rough. Mostly because my hand writing is abysmal. I can type 100+ words a minute with very few mistakes and I can hand write even faster, it's just totally illegible at that speed.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce