Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pellet Hops - Vacuum Sealed bag or jar?  (Read 11560 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Pellet Hops - Vacuum Sealed bag or jar?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 02:40:24 am »
Or a cat?

Are cats a good, quick indicator of oxidation?
Don't get me wrong, I just can't imagine why you'd waste a perfectly good avocado.
Lately I've been on this kick of my  afternoon snack consisting of a Costco (remarkably consistent) avocado, halved, sliced, sea salted, fresh ground peppered and a drop of SriRacha on each slice. All I'm sayin is give it a shot if you dig avocados. To eat that is. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:49:21 am by Pinski »
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 04:10:09 am »
Love em! Can't make my California rolls without em. But, I think if you're guessing that one method might oxidize an avocado, well what's it doing to hops?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 05:59:47 am »
My avocado tree is in full bloom right now.  It looks like a bumper crop this year.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 06:31:02 am »
Or a cat?

Are cats to a good, quick indicator of oxidation?
Don't get me wrong, I just can't imagine why you'd waste a perfectly good avocado.
Lately I've been on this kick of my  afternoon snack consisting of a Costco (remarkably consistent) avocado, halved, sliced, sea salted, fresh ground peppered and a drop of SriRacha on each slice. All I'm sayin is give it a shot if you dig avocados. To eat that is.

Try Tabasco and/or a fresh squeeze of lime, lemon or even rice vinegar. Sublime. I like the small avocados since they are better as a single serving. They ripen quicker and more consistently. That way I can eat a whole one without any feeling of guilt.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 06:55:05 am »
My avocado tree is in full bloom right now.  It looks like a bumper crop this year.

#^#@!% Floridians  ;)....  the taps have been in our sugar maple trees for 3 weeks already but nothing's dripping as the temperature steadfastly refuses to rise above freezing for more than about 30 minutes a day... but there's still 2 feet of snow on the ground so when the thaw finally comes that should help with a good run...

(sorry... off topic but I'm particularly cold this morning!)

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 07:37:55 am »

#^#@!% Floridians  ;)....  the taps have been in our sugar maple trees for 3 weeks already but nothing's dripping as the temperature steadfastly refuses to rise above freezing for more than about 30 minutes a day... but there's still 2 feet of snow on the ground so when the thaw finally comes that should help with a good run...

(sorry... off topic but I'm particularly cold this morning!)
Hopefully this weekend looks like it will be warmer.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Stevie

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 08:01:27 am »

Here's an experimental for someone. Half and peel an avocado. Vacuum seal one half in a jar, vacuum seal the oher half in a food saver bag. Put both in the fridge. The first one to turn brown looses.

Good idea, but a waste of an avocado. ;)

How about an apple?
Except avocados and apples are browned by enzymatic reactions

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 08:01:57 am »
Atrocious!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2014, 08:21:19 am »

Here's an experimental for someone. Half and peel an avocado. Vacuum seal one half in a jar, vacuum seal the oher half in a food saver bag. Put both in the fridge. The first one to turn brown looses.

Good idea, but a waste of an avocado. ;)

How about an apple?
Except avocados and apples are browned by enzymatic reactions

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

The enzymes facilitate the oxidation of iron/other compounds in the fruit.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/experts-why-cut-apples-turn-brown/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2014, 08:37:28 am »
Don't know about apples but avocado stays fresh vacuum sealed in a food saver bag. I don't know about vacuum sealed in a jar but I bet it wouldn't.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2014, 01:20:42 pm »
Don't know about apples but avocado stays fresh vacuum sealed in a food saver bag. I don't know about vacuum sealed in a jar but I bet it wouldn't.

okay so i'm game - will get an avocado, put a quarter in a jar and another quarter in a bag and see which oxidizes first.  (I'm eating the other half, in case you were wondering.0

should I freeze or just refrigerate the samples?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2014, 02:04:45 pm »

okay so i'm game - will get an avocado, put a quarter in a jar and another quarter in a bag and see which oxidizes first.  (I'm eating the other half, in case you were wondering.0

Paul, do it like you would for hops, so that would be freeze correct? If you want a faster experiment then in the fridge, faster yet would be room temp. I would want to know the time frame in the freezer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2014, 02:28:13 pm »

I think the answer is going to be indefinite. These methods are both proven to eliminate oxygen from foods. I found a steak in the back of the freezer when I moved. It had been in there for over two years.... Still looked like the day I put it in there. I would guess you're going to forget about the avocado experiment in a few months and rediscover it in a decade and find a nice green avocado in both the jar and bag.... You'll then make a sandwich lol
Frank

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2014, 02:34:50 pm »

I think the answer is going to be indefinite. These methods are both proven to eliminate oxygen from foods. I found a steak in the back of the freezer when I moved. It had been in there for over two years.... Still looked like the day I put it in there. I would guess you're going to forget about the avocado experiment in a few months and rediscover it in a decade and find a nice green avocado in both the jar and bag.... You'll then make a sandwich lol
The local name chef says freezers are great, but they are not time machines. I think you could find a difference after a few more years.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild