Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scottish Wee Heavy  (Read 4491 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Scottish Wee Heavy
« on: March 02, 2014, 09:32:17 am »
I don't typically go for big beers. But I love a good Wee Heavy. I few years ago I brewed the Northern Brewer extract one and it came out great. Tasted just like the one The Great Divide brews. Now I am developing a recipe for an all grain one. I thought about even using the original method of taking a gallon of the first runnings, boiling it down to half a gallon before adding the rest of the runnings to carmelize it and add the color. But then I decided to just use caramel grain and black patent to get the sweetness and color. In my recipe below I listed a package of S04 for the yeast. But what I am really going to do is drop the yeast out from under the amber ale I am currently doing and dump that into my wee heavy.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Wee Heavy
Brewer: Roger
Asst Brewer: Ralph the Wonderdog
Style: Strong Scotch Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.086 SG
Estimated Color: 16.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
15 lbs                Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM)            Grain         1        94.5 %       
8.0 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)    Grain         2        3.1 %         
4.0 oz                Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)                  Grain         3        1.6 %         
2.0 oz                Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)          Grain         4        0.8 %         
1.00 oz               Sterling [7.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min  Hop           5        24.8 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast         6        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 14.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 20.84 qt of water at 167.5 F        152.0 F       60 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 2.98gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Scottish Wee Heavy
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:51:21 am »
Looks good. Caramel malt will not give you the flavor profile of caramelizing the first runnings, but it will still result in a good beer. You might also want to add a bit of honey malt if you want to come closer to that caramelized runnings flavor. I also think if you're already using 15lbs of Maris Otter, then I don't think there is much need for the Victory.

And I think S-04 is a solid choice for a Wee Heavy if you don't have a big pitch of Scottish Ale yeast ready to go.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 11:21:41 am »
Way too complicated.  Use Skotrat's Traquair House recipe, found here...http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/WeeShroomy .  There is not a better wee heavy homebrew recipe around.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 11:23:15 am »
+1.  Not even a close one.
Jon H.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 11:33:02 am »
Looks good. Caramel malt will not give you the flavor profile of caramelizing the first runnings, but it will still result in a good beer. You might also want to add a bit of honey malt if you want to come closer to that caramelized runnings flavor. I also think if you're already using 15lbs of Maris Otter, then I don't think there is much need for the Victory.

And I think S-04 is a solid choice for a Wee Heavy if you don't have a big pitch of Scottish Ale yeast ready to go.

I was just throwing the victory in there because I am sitting on 4oz of it. I guess I will save it for another beer.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 11:33:54 am »
Way too complicated.  Use Skotrat's Traquair House recipe, found here...http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/WeeShroomy .  There is not a better wee heavy homebrew recipe around.

What's up with the mushrooms in that recipe?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 11:41:20 am »

Leave them out, and it is a wee heavy. Put them in and it is Denny's beer.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 11:51:41 am »
Unless I buy another 5 pounds of Marris Otter I will be just using 15lbs, according to that recipe Denny pointed to all I need to do is toss in a couple ounces of Black Patent and I am good to go. I do have plenty of 2 row on hand I suppose I could use that to make up the difference?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 12:38:48 pm »

They make an incredibly delicious beer!  Of course, leave them out for a "normal" wee heavy.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 03:34:15 pm »
What to sub for roasted barley? I have black patent and chocolate and carafa II special and pale chocolate

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 03:35:57 pm »
What to sub for roasted barley? I have black patent and chocolate and carafa II special and pale chocolate

There is so little of it in there that I doubt you get any flavor from it. It is there for color I think. Any of those would probably work.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 08:33:28 am »
Chocolate malt is probably the closest in terms of flavor and color.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 08:56:32 am »

I'd go for the carafa.

BTW, the one I made last week is giving me blowoff with 1728 at 52F!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 08:33:59 am »
OK this was the recipe I brewed yesterday. I would have prefered kent goldings for the hops but I didn't have any on hand. I think Sterling is a nice "neutral" hop for general purpose use as a bittering hop. Just my opinion.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Ralph's Lift Your Leg and Wee Heavy
Brewer: Roger
Asst Brewer: Ralph the Wonderdog
Style: Strong Scotch Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.085 SG
Estimated Color: 16.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
15 lbs                Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM)            Grain         1        95.6 %       
8.0 oz                Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)                    Grain         2        3.2 %         
3.0 oz                Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)          Grain         3        1.2 %         
0.70 oz               Sterling [8.60 %] - First Wort 60.0 min  Hop           4        20.1 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast         5        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 11.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 20.61 qt of water at 167.5 F        152.0 F       60 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 2.97gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS