Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DFH Raison D'etre All Grain Recipe Wanted  (Read 1882 times)

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
DFH Raison D'etre All Grain Recipe Wanted
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:16:35 pm »
I'm looking for a tried and true all grain Raison D'etre recipe. Yes, I know there's a recipe in Sam's book but I can't seem to find someone who tried it and rates it as good as the real deal. It should be the real deal ...

Also, what is a decent sub for Belgian Ardennes (3522)? Would just about any Belgian yeast do or is Ardennes a must?

Offline riceral

• Brewer
Re: DFH Raison D'etre All Grain Recipe Wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 06:50:33 am »
I'm looking for a tried and true all grain Raison D'etre recipe. Yes, I know there's a recipe in Sam's book but I can't seem to find someone who tried it and rates it as good as the real deal. It should be the real deal ...

Also, what is a decent sub for Belgian Ardennes (3522)? Would just about any Belgian yeast do or is Ardennes a must?

Can't help you with the first question.

According to MrMalty (http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm) WLP550 Belgian Ale Yeast is equivalent to WY3522.
Ralph R.

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 08:02:54 am »
I've got WLP530 from a Westy batch. Perhaps that might fit the bill too. The grain bill is pretty simple, mostly 2 row w/small amounts of chocolate & crystal. With only 6 ounces of pureed raisins, it seems pretty sparse.

Offline krebsy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 08:11:07 am »
In my experience, Wyeast's Ardennes strain is significantly cleaner in both esters and phenols compared to their Westmalle strain.  I don't pick up a significant Belgian yeast character in Raison D'etre, so I would go with Ardennes if you want something closer to the real deal.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 12:40:06 pm »
I have a recipe at home. I will look it up tonight.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 08:42:51 am »
Is 6 oz. of raisins enough?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 11:56:20 am »
In this case , I don't see why you'd be inclined not to use Sam's recipe. He was a homebrewer and this is the homebrew equivalent of his recipe, written by him. I can't imagine a different recipe getting you closer.
Jon H.