Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Which coffee for a coffee/breakfast stout  (Read 4658 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Which coffee for a coffee/breakfast stout
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 09:04:14 am »
If you really don't have a local roaster then Star Bucks is not bad. Peete's is good too. As others have said look at the freshness dates and use freshest possible.

For a coffee beer, I do a coarse crack and add them like dry hops to the keg.  Ethiopian beans have been my current favorite.  Costa Rica is good, too.

+1.  That's how I add my beans. I like that method best.
Jon H.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 10:27:58 am »
+1000 to using the freshest beans possible. I prefer African coffees so that is what I use. Use the varietal you prefer. I use the cold press / toddy method with good results.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 04:03:10 am »
If you really don't have a local roaster then Star Bucks is not bad. Peete's is good too. As others have said look at the freshness dates and use freshest possible.

I have to disagree.  Starbucks is bad.  Unless you like over-roasted burnt flavors in your coffee.

I roast my own (yes, I am a coffee snob) except when it's freezing cold like it has been for the past three months.  When I can't roast I buy from the local roaster.  Fresh beans, medium roast, you get all the flavor you need.

For a coffee beer, I do a coarse crack and add them like dry hops to the keg.  Ethiopian beans have been my current favorite.  Costa Rica is good, too.

For store bought coffee Star Bucks is not too bad. You don't have to buy the dark roasted coffee. Their Pike Place is not terribly overly roasted. I do not like their dark roasted coffees but the lighter one's are ok. Better than 'Chock full of nuts" or "8 o'clock coffee" .... I mean, seriously. Come on. Star Bucks snobbery is really over hyped and over blown. There have been so many instances when I have been on the road and was thankful to find a Start Bucks for a good cup of coffee. Beats gas station coffee or McDonald's everytime.

That said, Ethiopian coffees are some of my favorites. My local roaster sells an Ethiopian Harraar which is one of my regulars go tos. This week I went with a Panamanian and I'm really enjoying it.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 04:08:37 am »
Or get yourself a popcorn maker and start roasting your own beans ;)

looks like reverseapachemaster beat me too it.

I did the pop corn roasting coffee thing for a while. I couldn't get an even get roast with that method.  It was a fun experiment but the roasted beans I get from my local guy is just a lot better than what I could personally achieve with a pop corn maker. I would like to invest in a more upscale home roaster some day though.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:04:24 am by majorvices »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 08:01:53 am »
I do not like their dark roasted coffees but the lighter one's are ok. Better than 'Chock full of nuts" or "8 o'clock coffee" .... I mean, seriously. Come on. Star Bucks snobbery is really over hyped and over blown. There have been so many instances when I have been on the road and was thankful to find a Start Bucks for a good cup of coffee. Beats gas station coffee or McDonald's everytime.

I'll meet you half-way and agree that their lighter roasts are OK.  The guy who owns the local roastery here even likes the Blonde roast, so they get credit for that, but most of what they sell is over-roasted and over-bitter.

I'm not sure if I'd rather have McDonald's coffee but I'd consider it strongly.  Same with Eight O'Clock. 

Starbuck's as an option on the road, I can see.  But that's also kind of like being the prettiest girl in the room.  Best of a bad lot isn't necessarily good.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 08:06:52 am »

Starbuck's as an option on the road, I can see.  But that's also kind of like being the prettiest girl in the room.  Best of a bad lot isn't necessarily good.

I hunt down Starbucks on road trips. Their bathrooms are always very clean.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 08:15:11 am »
Dunkin!
Frank

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 09:43:03 am »
Dunkin!

I didn't like their coffee at all when I had it a couple time last summer. Pretty awful. Tastes stale.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 09:47:16 am »
Dunkin!

I didn't like their coffee at all when I had it a couple time last summer. Pretty awful. Tastes stale.

I honestly prefer mcdonalds. at that is green mountain coffee roasters/keurig/paul newman coffee.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 09:57:20 am »
Dunkin!

Really? First off, there are no roasters around me that are worth a darn. As far as commercial coffee goes, I find it really tough to beat Dunkin...around here anyways. I won't go to Starbucks. It was really tough for me to buy it for my last breakfast stout lol. I agree that their coffee tastes burnt. Also, their cups are garbage. I don't know how many times I've gotten Starbucks and have had it on the front of my shirt. To me, it's hard to beast Dunkin as a commercial blend. Their donuts are a different story... Not so good.

A few years ago, I was in San Francisco on a PD trip for work. I think it was Ollie's. I remember that coffee being terrific.
Frank

Offline Scot (one T)

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 10:18:36 am »
By far the best coffee stout I ever made was using Cafe Du Monde's coffee with chickory.   I used a rye stout base and cold steeped the coffee.  Judges and friends loved that beer.
Scot Schaar
River's Edge Fermentation Society
St Paul Homebrewers Club
AHA Member
BJCP Beer and Mead Judge

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 10:38:27 am »

The best thing you can do is find the freshest coffee possible.

+1.

+2

Absolutely key...for all ingredients.
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 12:28:11 pm »
Dunkin!

Really? First off, there are no roasters around me that are worth a darn. As far as commercial coffee goes, I find it really tough to beat Dunkin...around here anyways. I won't go to Starbucks. It was really tough for me to buy it for my last breakfast stout lol. I agree that their coffee tastes burnt. Also, their cups are garbage. I don't know how many times I've gotten Starbucks and have had it on the front of my shirt. To me, it's hard to beast Dunkin as a commercial blend. Their donuts are a different story... Not so good.

A few years ago, I was in San Francisco on a PD trip for work. I think it was Ollie's. I remember that coffee being terrific.

was it single cup drip to order? I think that's ollie's. If I am remembering correctly, you are right, that is a fine cup of coffee.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 01:00:01 pm »
Dunkin!

was it single cup drip to order? I think that's ollie's. If I am remembering correctly, you are right, that is a fine cup of coffee.

I believe it was. There was one in the basement of our hotel we stayed in.... The Fairmont.
Frank

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 03:12:15 pm »
By far the best coffee stout I ever made was using Cafe Du Monde's coffee with chickory.   I used a rye stout base and cold steeped the coffee.  Judges and friends loved that beer.

I have a very soft spot in my heart for Cafe Du Monde and steamed milk. Yeah, it's preground coffee but it's really good. Especially on a sidewalk cafe in New Orleans with your love.