Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing IIPA  (Read 2907 times)

Offline parkerd21

• 1st Kit
Brewing IIPA
« on: April 29, 2010, 01:34:01 am »
I'm brewing an IIPA with a recipe I designed from beer smith. I know some higher gravity beers have a longer boil time. BeerSmith has my recipe boiling for 60 minutes, but should I boil for 90 minutes. I'm using nearly a pound of hops all totaled(including dry hopping),  I use a partial boil, and late extract addition. My target OG is 1.090, and I have done a starter batch of yeast.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Brewing IIPA
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 04:10:09 am »
A 60 minute boil will be fine, especially if you're only doing a partial boil.  But longer won't hurt either, it'll just concentrate your wort down more.  Gravity doesn't really have anything to do with it in this case.

Edit - Gravity and boil time do have an impact on hop utilization though.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:02:46 am by tygo »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline parkerd21

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:50:34 am »
Thanks

Offline monk

• Cellarman
    • The Brass Monkey Brewpub
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 08:36:13 am »
I always add some simple sugar to my IIPA so that it doesn't end up thick (nothing wrong with thick, necessarily, but not my style).  If you have any in your recipe, you can always add it at the end of the boil to maintain a lower boil gravity and better hop utilization.  For that matter, depending on your ratio of grain to extract, you could also add the extract at the end.

Offline parkerd21

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 12:44:42 pm »
Well I brewed it the other night. It tasted pretty good. I did add a couple pounds of Lyle's Golden Syrup at the end of the boil. My O.G. was a little lower than I expected. My target was 1.090 and I got 1.090. I don't quite have 5 gallons. But I was going for gravity over quantity.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 05:35:18 pm »
Well I brewed it the other night. It tasted pretty good. I did add a couple pounds of Lyle's Golden Syrup at the end of the boil. My O.G. was a little lower than I expected. My target was 1.090 and I got 1.090. I don't quite have 5 gallons. But I was going for gravity over quantity.

Sounds like you'll be fine.  The Lyle's will definitely help to keep it from getting too sweet.
At  1.090 you're probably closer to Barleywine than any IPA (though with all the weird variants popping up who can say)...either way, I'll bet you'll have one fine brew there.  Be sure to set some aside to age so you can assess the affect (usually quite positive) that age will have on it.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971