Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kenai, AK  (Read 2393 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Kenai, AK
« on: February 21, 2014, 12:08:41 am »
I really like Alaska in general, and Kenai in particular.  If you make it here do check out the local brewery, Kassik's.  Unfortunately, the best bar in town is the worst beer bar.  All of their beer on tap is way under carbonated and awful.  But the place is hopping.  So I drink bottled beer while I smoke my cigar.  Tomorrow Soldotna, and two more breweries.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Kenai, AK
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 07:06:56 am »
More breweries than when we were on the Kenai peninsula. How short is daylight this time of year?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 11:14:25 am »
I was kind of surprised.  There are about 11 hours of light here now.  Wednesday we drove the 1.5 hours to Homer for dinner and a stop at the Homer Brewing Co.  The beer was good but not inspired. 

Yesterday at Kassik's was really good, very interesting beer.  Especially their Chocolate White Ale, but their Morning Wood IPA was excellent as well.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 11:25:57 am »
I was kind of surprised.  There are about 11 hours of light here now.  Wednesday we drove the 1.5 hours to Homer for dinner and a stop at the Homer Brewing Co.  The beer was good but not inspired. 

Yesterday at Kassik's was really good, very interesting beer.  Especially their Chocolate White Ale, but their Morning Wood IPA was excellent as well.

The scenery in Homer was super when we were there. The beer at the brewery was OK, looked like your typical small Peter Austin system, and probably used the Ringwood strain from the taste.

This was about 10 years back. Got to be a much better beer scene on the Kenai peninsula now.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 02:40:24 pm »

Holy crap. Lucky you!

I have managed to get to Homer twice in my life.  I really love the scenic wild of that state.
Plus, Morning Wood is almost always good. :-X

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 12:51:35 am »
I visited the Kenai River Brewery, and St. Elias Brewing today.  Both are in Soldotna.  I enjoyed the beers at both, but nothing remarkable at either.  I enjoyed a conversation with the brewer at St. Elias; a very nice fellow.

For my money, I'd spend my time and money at Kassik's.  But no one would go wrong at the other three breweries on the Kenai.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline stihler

• Cellarman
    • Alaska Beer and Brewing
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 02:02:38 pm »
It sounds like a great trip.

The Kenai Peninsula is beautiful country.

The last time I was down there, Homer Brewing was the only brewery. Homer is a fun place to visit and Steve and Karen at the brewery are really good folks.

It is kind of surprising how many breweries there are now on the Peninsula. Unfortunately, being off-season the Kenai Peninsula's fifth brewery in Seward is closed now. I suspect you are probably not missing much in that regard but....At any rate, Seward is a nice place to visit in the summer but tends to be pretty much closed down this time of year.

So Steve, are you going to see any more of Alaska after touring around the Kenai Peninusla?

I assume you are leaving via the airport in Anchorage. If have time, Silver Gulch Brewing from Fairbanks (well, actually Fox) has an outlet there in Concourse C. It is kind of across from Chili's.  Not only can you sample their beers but you can even get growlers of their beer to take with you. They also have 22 oz. bottles of beer from various breweries in Alaska for purchase. Since you are already in the airport you can actually take such items with you as carry-ons.

Oh well, I look forward to hearing more about your trip.

- Scott
Is beer a vegetable?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 10:23:22 pm »
I am back home.  I agree though, Alaska is a great place.  I was in Anchorage the end of January.  I visited Midnight Sun Brewing, and Anchorage Brewing Co.  Of the two, Anchorage Brewing was far and away the most interesting.  Very creative brewer.

I was also up in Fairbanks last June.  I visited Silver Gulch while there.  Really good beer and food.  I also visited a new brewery there, Hoodoo Brewing.  Also very good.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 11:29:08 pm »
I'm jealous!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 10:05:47 am »
I'm jealous!

I'm very fortunate to have a wife that travels a lot for work.  So whenever she goes to Alaska (or some other interesting place), I try to go.  Air-miles for my flight, and the motel and rental car are paid for.  I just don't have enough vacation to go as much as I would like!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 10:14:38 am »
I'm jealous!

I'm very fortunate to have a wife that travels a lot for work.  So whenever she goes to Alaska (or some other interesting place), I try to go.  Air-miles for my flight, and the motel and rental car are paid for.  I just don't have enough vacation to go as much as I would like!

Awesome. Pretty good deal for you !  I'm dying to get up there someday. Maybe work in a little fishing in the process.
Jon H.