Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: San Diego in May  (Read 1909 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
San Diego in May
« on: March 07, 2014, 11:24:49 am »
I'll be there for a conference. Staying near Balboa Park. no car. I'll have late Monday the 5th open and then evenings on the 6th and 7th.

Thinking Hess, Maybe Stone although unless they offer some things that are not normally available I don't know that it's worth the cab fare.

Ahh, didn't realize stone had two bistro locations. the one in San Diego is not too far and they have meatless monday's Way to go stone. I think they just decided where I'll go for dinner after I get in.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:27:59 am by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline johnf

• Brewer
Re: San Diego in May
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 03:19:41 pm »
I am a big fan of Hamilton's which would not be a bad cab ride. There are several other places in the same vicinity including the Toronado.

If you like IPAs I would beg, borrow, or steal a ride to Alpine. It's not crazy far but on the scale of Escondido so it is not going to be a fun cab fare.

Offline wsoublo

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 07:41:43 pm »
If you can head out to Ocean Beach one night, I'd highly recommend it.  Pizza Port brewing is right off the beach, and they have several excellent beers on tap and pretty good pizza.  There's also a few bottle shops in that area, and you can walk out on the pier for free.

I just returned from a business trip and went to Stone Liberty Station, Lost Abbey/Port Brewing, White Labs, Modern Times, but I had the best time at Pizza Port.  I ended up going there three nights.  I liked their Shark Attack and O'Behave DIPA.  They also had Pliny on tap, so maybe you'll get to hit that up too when you're out there.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:44:41 pm by wsoublo »

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 11:13:24 pm »
I highly recommend ballast point and societe.  And any of the pizza ports

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 09:48:57 am »
Modern Times appeals to me the most. I haven't been but their story and beers look awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coastsidemike

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 11:09:59 am »
I'm a fan of Coronado Brewing; they have a relatively new setup just north of the hwy 8 and 5 junction (not far from Balboa Park).  The tap list is lengthy, tasty.  The tap room is open to the large brew space, and there's a fridge in the back with inexpensively priced 22's.  It's "bring your own food", and there's BBQ to grab a block away.

Has anyone been to the White Labs tasting room?  Curious if it's worth going out of one's way to visit.

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 11:25:49 am »
I'm planning on going to white labs next week.  It's near societe.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline wsoublo

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 02:32:48 pm »
Modern Times appeals to me the most. I haven't been but their story and beers look awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modern Times was bland.  They don't offer food, had poor lighting, and only had four beers on tap when I went.  The Black House was by far my favorite of their lineup.