Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: !@#$ weather!  (Read 4107 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
!@#$ weather!
« on: March 03, 2014, 11:09:57 am »
As I was landing in Houston and turned on my phone a message popped up that my connection to DC had been cancelled. Scared of a little snow are we? Anyway II'm flying back home to try again tomorrow.  And this terminal has a crap beer selection. Sam Adams cold- snap? I don't care for it at all!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: !@#$ weather!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 12:45:26 pm »
It is a balmy +9 in Des Moines today.  Thinking about open the windows.   ;D

Good luck on you travels.  I hope tomorrow goes better.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline rjberry

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 02:40:32 pm »
That is a pretty weak selection if you had to settle for Cold Snap.  I just had it in the Spring mix 12 pack and it was my least favorite.  Hopefully they don't delay you much longer and if they do hopefully there is a better airport bar or restaurant
“We’re not here for the game. The game is nothing. The game is crap. The game makes me sick. The real reason we Americans put up with sports is for this: Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise.” - Homer Simpson

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 03:05:59 pm »
Once I got back and after realizing my trip was going to be delayed a further two days I cancelled and will reschedule. Supposedly I'm due a full refund...

My last two experiences flying have been miserable. The seating is so cramped I couldn't even reach into my pants' front pocket. And there is a veritable army of TSA smirking around like they own the place. I'm sure most airports are like that.

And they lost my bags too. Good thing my keys weren't in them. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 03:48:24 pm »
Seats are getting terrible. I can't get out without waking the 240lb guy sleeping next to me.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 04:00:35 pm »
Yesterday it was 71 degrees. I wore shorts and short sleeves. Today it hasn't gotten over 28. There was an ice storm this morning.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 04:05:00 pm »
High was maybe 16F, low was -3 this morning. There was not a cloud in the sky, the sun was bright.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 04:06:43 pm »
I'm one of those 225# dudes and I got caught in the center seat both ways. Before we boarded they announced that this was "the smallest plane in their fleet!" Two bigger men on each side outbound and a big fat lady (real nice person) next to me in the window seat on the way back- each of her thighs was about as big around as my 33" waist. She took up about a quarter of my seat. Lucky the older guy on the other side was skinny but even he had his legs out in the aisle. F'ing ridiculous man.

I'm looking at fares for the next couple days. Gonna go First class or business if the stars get all lined up. I'll pay for comfort...

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 06:29:04 pm »
this weekend in texas...

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 06:42:17 pm »
Seats are getting terrible. I can't get out without waking the 240lb guy sleeping next to me.
I was gonna comment but then I realized that I'm 265 so it couldn't have been me.

Everytime I get asked what seat I'd prefer, the answer is always the same "Middle between two super models".

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 06:57:52 pm »
I fly fairly regularly.  Even at 225#, I fit in the seats just fine except my shoulders.  It works if there is a woman in between two men.  Otherwise I am on a permanent lean.  That sucks.  Next time I fly to Europe I am definitely going first class!  That is a brutal flight from Seattle.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 07:47:46 pm »
Another sub freezing day as mentioned above. 2 years ago we had a week + of 80F + weather. Then we had freezing weather that killed the apples and tart cherry crops. I want a gradual warm up this year.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 07:50:14 pm »
I could barely stand a 35 minute flight.  Really I was worrying that the flight to DC was going to be as cramped. :-[

It was so warm and muggy on Saturday I had to turn the AC on and run it all night. Tee shirt in the am dang I needed a jacket bad when I walked out of work that afternoon. Freaking cold at 6am after my wind chimes clanking all night  I tell you what...

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 09:47:36 pm »

I was gonna comment but then I realized that I'm 265 so it couldn't have been me.

Everytime I get asked what seat I'd prefer, the answer is always the same "Middle between two super models".

I was trying to avoid hyperbole. Honestly, I'm 205 and I don't feel safe climbing over my lady. I'm scared I will fall and end up face first in somebody's lap. I like the aisle, she likes the window. Guess where I sit.

777's aren't bad for flight to Europe if you can get the layout with two-five-two in coach.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 06:48:41 am »
There was absolutely no room to move in and out of the middle and window seats. I can't see how anyone could escape if there was some sort of panic/crisis situation like a crash and subsequent fire.