Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adjusting bitterness post-fermentation  (Read 4138 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Adjusting bitterness post-fermentation
« on: March 04, 2014, 09:38:43 am »
I have a blond ale that is too sweet.  It is well attenuated so I think the issue is just a lack of balance because it does have a high level of adjuncts and was brewed to a higher gravity (1.068 OG).  I was making this for someone else who wasn't a hop head at all so I'm pretty sure that I just need more balance.

Is there anything I can do to back-bitter this?  Would some hops boiled in plain water give me any IBUs that I could then adjust with?  Normally I leave things alone and drink what I get but since this is for someone else I thought I'd see if there was a way to try to adjust the bitterness.
Thanks

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: Adjusting bitterness post-fermentation
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:00:08 am »
I don't think you can add bitterness, but I would try adding gypsum, and seeing if that will make the beer seem drier, and maybe therefore more bitter.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 10:02:32 am »
I don't think you can add bitterness, but I would try adding gypsum, and seeing if that will make the beer seem drier, and maybe therefore more bitter.

I think is the best shot, but you could also add some isomerized hop extract.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 10:33:52 am »
I have tried adding bitterness by making a 1-gal batch of beer to add to a 5-gal batch of beer and that was helpful.  If you just want to add some hopped water, it'll be difficult to get a big IBU increase without dilution becoming a concern.  You can play around with some brewing software to see what I mean.

The gypsum or the isomerized extract sound like better plans. 

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:56:34 am »
I have tried adding bitterness by making a 1-gal batch of beer to add to a 5-gal batch of beer and that was helpful.  If you just want to add some hopped water, it'll be difficult to get a big IBU increase without dilution becoming a concern.  You can play around with some brewing software to see what I mean.

The gypsum or the isomerized extract sound like better plans. 

Blending has turned several of my ho hums to really nice beers.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 11:02:58 am »
I would boil some water with or without hops and dilute the beer down.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 11:11:24 am »
I guess I'm wondering why boiling a couple cups of water with an ounce of Magnum wouldn't isomerize some of the alpha acids and then boil it down to a cup or so and do a quick dose test (drops per cup).  I don't think I can find isomerized extract around here very easily.  If it won't work without wort, then it won't work but in short, is there a way to make isomerized extract at home?  That's essentially what I'm trying to do.  I wish I had time to make more beer to blend but I don't.  Had I thought of it earlier I could have made a couple liters of highly bittered wort and added that to allow it to condition but I didn't think of that early enough.  I have to bottle this weekend.  Would gypsum even dissolve without heating etc?

The beer is certainly drinkable and fine as is, I just think it could be better.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 11:16:38 am »
Water+hops+boil=vegetal flavor

Water+hops+sugar+boil=isomerization+yummy goodness

Something like that.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 11:17:56 am »

Something like that.

OK, I see.  Sugar makes it magic.  Got it.
Guess I'll bottle as is.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 11:33:40 am »
Anybody ever use the Hop Shot stuff from NB ?  I haven't yet, but it seems that a solution of that (being already isomerized) stirred in might do the trick.

EDIT - Sorry Denny, saw you mentioned that !
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:37:35 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 12:25:57 pm »
I bought some isomerized hop extract at least six years ago to correct just this problem. Almost simultaneously started better hop storage and using first ProMash then BeerSmith to adjust AA due to age and storage conditions. Never had to use the Hop stuff since. I still have it and I wonder what the "half life" of that stuff is. A LITTLE bit goes a long way.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 12:34:01 pm »

Something like that.

OK, I see.  Sugar makes it magic.  Got it.
Guess I'll bottle as is.

not sure it's even that the sugar isn't there. a big part of the problem has to do with dillution. say you make two cups of hop tea, the level of isomerized acids will hit a ceiling pretty quick (what is the current thought? 160 IBU?) and no more will isomerize. now you dilute that two cups of 160 IBU in ~80 cups of 10 IBU beer (160*2)+(10*80) = 1120/82 = 13 so not much of a bump really.

plus, as euge points out at the amount of hops you would be using the vegetal flavors would be fairly evident and gross (see Mikkeller 1000 IBU)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 12:39:51 pm »
Anybody ever use the Hop Shot stuff from NB ?  I haven't yet, but it seems that a solution of that (being already isomerized) stirred in might do the trick.

I don't believe it is isomerized, though.  Maybe they're making them that way now, but when I first tested them for NB they weren't.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 12:48:52 pm »

I don't believe it is isomerized, though.  Maybe they're making them that way now, but when I first tested them for NB they weren't.

You're right Denny - I hadn't read the fine print. Needs to be boiled. Carry on !
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 01:52:13 pm »
At NHC last year there as a vendor selling a product that was to be used in the glass to boost hop character and, I seem to recall, bitterness. I do not remember who it was except that it was not Hop Union.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce