Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hoppy Pilsner..... Maybe?  (Read 7312 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Hoppy Pilsner..... Maybe?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 05:37:56 pm »
Actually makes me look forward to getting a lager fridge soon, to replace the one that burned out over a year ago. I haven't brewed a lager since. I could've but didn't want to tie up the fermentation fridge with lagering time. It's fun to brew lagers with a hop schedule like that -IPL style. Gonna make the first one in the new fridge a BoPils though !

Haha this has only been my third or fourth lager and I think the one that was truly done correctly. The other ones were grain kits too. I actually fermented this one with a heat blanket on it. I took advantage of the relentless polar vortex and fermented this in the garage. I lagered it a little higher than I should have. My keezer is set at 38, so that's where it was lagered at.

This was the winter to do that, for sure !  Relentless.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Hoppy Pilsner..... Maybe?
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 05:42:17 pm »
No I wasn't offended whatsoever either. I was jealous because I have issues getting the intended outcome in a lot of my beers in regards to hop balance. Somehow I overcomplicate matters and seem to miss more than hit...
I'm still relatively new in this hobby. I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversary her in a couple weeks. For some reason I feel more comfortable with hops than other aspects of brewing. It's the part where you can let your imagination take over and put your thumbprint on a brew. I guess start familiarizing yourself with identifying the hops that are present in beers. I drink a lot of IPAs so there is a lot if practice. If I'm at a bar or  restaurant, I try and pick a beer that I'm not familiar with and try and guess the hop combination in it. Then I'll pull my phone out and look it up to see how close I am. Thus really irritates the hell out of the old lady  :P if you can start doing this well, then you'll start gaining an idea of what you want in a hop combination in a beer.
Frank