Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brett gear  (Read 3038 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Brett gear
« on: February 23, 2014, 11:45:11 am »
I am assuming, since Brett is a yeast, that I will not have to have a dedicated set of fermenting and bottling gear.  Is this correct?  Can I ferment with Brett in my plastic Speidel fermenter, then do my usual cleaning/sanitizing and brew the next batch with saccharomyces?

Planning an all-Brett IPA using WLP644.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Brett gear
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 12:22:39 pm »
I would recommend against it. But, once something is packaged and chilled, any influence from the brett would be slowed.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 12:30:40 pm »
Brett creates s film which makes it more difficult to clean and sanitize away than brewers yeast. I would probably stick to something solid vs plastic unless you want to dedicate it.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 12:37:14 pm »
Good to know!  I don't mind dedicating the fermenter, since I have a conical for my regular brews.  My question now is about my Blichman Beer Gun.  Can I use it to bottle a Brett beer without tainting all subsequent bottled beers?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 07:52:04 am »
I have never had a problem of later contamination after making sours (Flanders Red). After bottling, I just sanitize everything with a bleach solution (which I don't do for "regular" beers) and then follow my normal sanitization routine for the next batch.

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 08:40:04 am »
I use my counter pressure filler for both regular beers and sours with brett/lacto/pedio/whatever.  I do usually boil it in water for 15-20 mins before using it on a non-sour batch again... and I have a dedicated line for the sour beer filling...
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 08:48:06 am »
Actually scratch that... I forgot I bought new beer line for my filler a few months ago.  I have not bottled a sour since I purchased it... But this new line allows for boiling temps so I am planning on just boiling it along with the filler itself :D

Here is the line I bought for my filler.  It's been working great for my regular beers thus far.  Silicone and can handle up to 20psi... Which is about double what I'm usually bottling at.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#3038k14/=qu19fj
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 09:43:48 am »
So long as your cleaning and sanitation practices are good it will not be a problem using the same equipment. Oxyclean/PBW will help break down any pellicle protecting brett/bacteria/wild yeast from your sanitizer and then you can sanitize as normal.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 11:18:03 am »

Here is the line I bought for my filler.  It's been working great for my regular beers thus far.  Silicone and can handle up to 20psi... Which is about double what I'm usually bottling at.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#3038k14/=qu19fj

Thanks for the link!
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 08:38:40 am »
Good to know!  I don't mind dedicating the fermenter, since I have a conical for my regular brews.  My question now is about my Blichman Beer Gun.  Can I use it to bottle a Brett beer without tainting all subsequent bottled beers?

I'm nervous about the same thing as well. I've only bottled mixed ferment beers with the Beer Gun so far.

I have successfully bottled a brett-only beer after brett-bacteria beers, but its only a matter of time before risking it catches up with you. Ask my funky quad (accidentally used the wrong sample thief).

When I go to bottle the next clean beer, I'll probably buy another accessory kit ($20 is worthwhile insurance to me).

I am worried about the rubber ball (valve seat) at the end of the gun. It doesn't come with the kit (it should), but I'll probably also buy a spare ball for clean beers and keep it with the kit.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline trentmark

• 1st Kit
  • Homebrewer
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 11:32:16 am »
Brett creates s film which makes it more difficult to clean and sanitize away than brewers yeast. I would probably stick to something solid vs plastic unless you want to dedicate it.

This is a good read for anyone using Brett: http://wineserver.ucdavis.edu/pdf/attachment/118%20sanitation%20agents%20to%20fight%20biofilms.pdf

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 12:50:32 pm »

I'm nervous about the same thing as well. I've only bottled mixed ferment beers with the Beer Gun so far.

I have successfully bottled a brett-only beer after brett-bacteria beers, but its only a matter of time before risking it catches up with you. Ask my funky quad (accidentally used the wrong sample thief).

When I go to bottle the next clean beer, I'll probably buy another accessory kit ($20 is worthwhile insurance to me).

I am worried about the rubber ball (valve seat) at the end of the gun. It doesn't come with the kit (it should), but I'll probably also buy a spare ball for clean beers and keep it with the kit.

I was worried about cross contamination as well.  So, for my beer gun I have seperate tubing and rubber stopper for bottling my sour beers.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 10:06:58 pm »

This is a good read for anyone using Brett: http://wineserver.ucdavis.edu/pdf/attachment/118%20sanitation%20agents%20to%20fight%20biofilms.pdf
nice!
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 09:01:42 am »

Maybe I am misreading that but I read it as though they were looking at chemicals used for both cleaning and sanitizing in the same shot, which would be different from using a detergent first (like PBW or Oxy) and a sanitizer second. Nothing wins like caustic but I doubt many homebrewers have a tank of caustic.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 10:19:19 am »

It would be nice to read the entire paper. Being out of college, I do not have access to journal databases.