Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: best silicone for mash tun  (Read 3369 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
best silicone for mash tun
« on: March 06, 2014, 09:27:10 pm »
I was wondering what the best food safe silicone cocking for using on a mash tun would be, my seal is not as tight as i would like?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: best silicone for mash tun
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:30:16 pm »
I wouldn't think you'd need a tight seal on a mash tun-unlike your fermenter.  The primary issue with a mash tun is temperature stability not oxygen/wild yeast/bacteria exposure.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 11:36:09 pm »
are you talking about a denny style cooler mash tun? where the tubing goes through the wall to the braid? not sure I can help you but i thought I would clarify. I would think any food safe silicon sealant would work. I guess you should find one rated for high temps
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 01:00:18 am »
I'm pretty sure it's Caulking, the other lets too much might in.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 05:32:50 am »
Look for something that seals fish tanks. I had a problem with the insulating foam flaking off and making it difficult to seal the valve in my cooler. I put silicone sealer in the gaps, the kind that is food safe or safe for fish tanks.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 05:45:52 am »
+1 to high temp, food safe.
Jon H.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 05:54:20 am »
I think this is what I got http://www.amazon.com/00688-Household-Waterproof-Adhesive-2-8-Ounce/dp/B000KE4PBQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VGGHQ6WH0XAQ591KFH

You can find it at Home Depot, too.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 04:47:11 pm »
I used DAP brand in my tun. The drain hole was slightly larger than the typical size that works with 1/2" bulkhead setups. I find that it holds pretty well when cured and is easy enough to remove if you ever need to. Mine is an aquarium sealant listed as food safe.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 01:35:16 pm »
update:
thanks for all the advice, my problem was the size of whole in the bottom was just a small fraction to small for the bulk head to fit through. (my bulkhead a one one washer fixed on so i couldn't take it off). i just took a file around the edges and now it fits just right.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.