Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brandy/Cognac/Armagnac  (Read 1822 times)

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
Brandy/Cognac/Armagnac
« on: February 20, 2014, 11:40:20 am »
I just spent some time reading through the Whiskey thread and really enjoyed seeing the different recommendations.  Over the last year or so, I've picked up a few bottles of brandy (mainly cognac under $100) and the Kelt VSOP is the one I've liked the best.  Any other good brandy recommendations?  I'm not opposed to spending more if it is worth it - I just would have a hard time dropping a bunch of money on the random chance that the price was justified.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Brandy/Cognac/Armagnac
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 04:22:28 pm »
I like the VSOP grade. And brandy shouldn't be horribly expensive. Cognac is another thing altogether.

You probably already know about Remy Martin and Martell. Raynal vsop is pretty good for under $20
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 05:29:58 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I'll pick up a bottle of the Raynal VSOP.  I also think I should try some California brandy as well since I haven't tried any from there yet.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 08:22:05 pm »
Cognac. Pierre Ferrand, 25 years. Good stuff. I used to keep it for my father in law, rest his soul.

In Armagnac my last purchase was DeLord. Not bad. My wife's best friends husbands family makes Armagnac and he gave us a bottle of the family stash when we were in Portugal. Outstanding but unavailable in the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 10:32:20 pm »
They didn't have any Pierre Ferrand 25 at BevMo, so I'll keep looking for it.  I did pick up a bottle of the Pierre Ferrand Amber 10 and in a blind tasting between that and the Kelt VSOP, I thought they were both very nice with a nod toward the PF. I can only imagine how great that 25 must be!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 10:19:52 am »
The 25 was a recommendation by the whiskey guy at Binny's. While not cheap it was cheaper than comparably aged cognacs. I'll double check the bottle as it might be 20 and not 25. I also think the bottle says "cigar" on it. Maybe I'll post a photo for accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 06:03:35 am »
I was looking at some slivovitz (plum) and barack (apricot) brandies. Are they reminiscent of these fruits?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 07:27:59 am »
I was looking at some slivovitz (plum) and barack (apricot) brandies. Are they reminiscent of these fruits?

Can help, sorry.

But I finally checked the Pierre Ferand.  It's a reserve des dieux.  So 20 years.

Picked up a Marie Duffant Armagnac yesterday and had a night cap last night.  Tasty.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 04:39:49 pm »
Slivo is more reminiscent of diesel than plums, I love the stuff! You just need to watch the brands you buy, I can offer biased opinions I you'd like.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

The moral majority, is neither.