Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Alpine nelson  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Alpine nelson
« on: May 16, 2014, 08:57:13 am »
People have been fawning over this beer lately. Finally had a chance to try it.

Meh.

Low aroma and taste like chewing on nelson sauvin hops. I guess there is such thing as too mush nelson.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Alpine nelson
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 10:05:40 am »
Nelson hops are to me like Fuggles to Denny.

I find the cheap white wine taste I get from them to be terrible. Friends whose judgement of beer I respect like them. We all have our unique taste profile.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 10:17:56 am »
Never had that one, but I have had their Duet IPA and some others and really liked them.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 10:44:22 am »
Nelson hops are to me like Fuggles to Denny.

I find the cheap white wine taste I get from them to be terrible. Friends whose judgement of beer I respect like them. We all have our unique taste profile.

Although I don't out them in the same class as Fuggle, I pretty agree with you Jeff.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 11:55:53 am »
Alpine Nelson is white grapes and raunchy cat pee when served fresh.  I've used Nelson Sauvin a few times.  If you want some white grape, it's nice mid boil and used sparingly.  Late hop and dry hop is cat pee land.  Evil Twin made a Nelson beer and called it Cat Pi$$.  People bought and payed silly money for it!

Alpine's best hop bomb beers are Bad Boy and Exponential Hoppiness.  Duet is a nice beer, but not as good as your 4th best home brewed IPA.  ;)  It's a relatively conservative WC-IPA that tastes good, but not something that will make you say WOW.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 04:52:52 pm »
It's a relatively conservative WC-IPA
that tastes good, but not something that will make you say WOW.

Water closet IPA? Does that taste like man-pee instead of cat pee? I'm waiting for a new hop to come out that smells like asparagus pee. :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 07:25:50 pm »
Gotta say Kinetic, I tried Duet fresh in their brewpub 3 years ago, and it was maybe a notch above average or 4th best. So I can't speak to deterioration in quality since.  But any IPA of name or otherwise diminishes quickly week by week (as we all know), but it was damn good fresh. But yes, I had other beers of theirs that were hoppier and probably better. A pretty underrated brewery IMO.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:43:57 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Kinetic

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 07:23:18 am »
I had a bomber of Duet.  It was about one month old.  I liked it, but recall it was relatively conservative which isn't a bad thing.  Alpine makes nice beers.