Author Topic: Stone Go To IPA  (Read 2049 times)

Online goschman

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Stone Go To IPA
« on: March 07, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »
Picked up a six pack for the first time last night. Apparently they use hop bursting and there is not a typical 60 min or FWH bittering addition. 65 IBUs for a 4.5% ABV beer seemed a bit heavy handed to me. Had a great tropical/stone fruit aroma. The flavor was strange in my opinion. It wasn't necessarily very bitter but the bitterness had a biting sensation and flavor that I have not really experienced. I thought I read that it has magnum hops in addition to many other which seems to be strange for hop bursted beer... Anyway, I couldn't really get past the strange bitterness. I felt like it was the most prominent note and took my attention away from the hop flavor/aroma.

I had a Boulevard Pop up session IPA in the fridge which I tried after the Stone version...it was much better in my opinion and more what I like in a "session IPA"
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:57:50 PM by goschman »
On Tap:                       
Lemongrass Blonde / Habnero Wit / XPA #2 / American Strong Ale

Fermenting: SurpRYEs, Baltic Porter
Up Next: Saison, Irish Red, Kolsch

Offline flbrewer

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Go To IPA
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 04:28:12 PM »
Thanks for posting...I was curious to try this. My experience with any low ABV IPA's have been mixed.

Online goschman

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 04:45:32 PM »
Yeah I really like the Boulevard one but after taking a look it is only 40 IBUs in a 4.3% ABV beer. I am curious to see what others think of the the Stone version. Maybe it was just strange to me...
On Tap:                       

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 07:07:17 AM »
I picked up a 6 of this while I was on the road. I got heavy floral/stone fruit notes with the hop flavor. I understand that it's a session beer, but it lacked hardly any body at. I do give thus a positive review. I like drinking session IPAs while doing yard work in the summer. I think this would be very refreshing in that circumstance. My only complaint is that Stone probably won't can it. Again, it's easier to deal with cans while doing summer yard work. Until they do can it, I'll just stick to my cans of SNPA and Founders All Day IPA.
Frank

Online goschman

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:24:50 AM »
Tried it again this weekend. Your are very right about the lack of body. I couldn't taste any kind of malt whatsoever. The aroma is great but everything else is just too pungent for me. I got heavy bitterness and a lot of grapefruit flavor.
On Tap:                       

Offline blatz

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 10:56:30 AM »
I haven't tried Go To yet, but will look for it soon, at least to give it a try.

I really don't understand the craze with the "session IPA"  - for me, the APA is my 'go to" when i want hoppy but lower ABV.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Online HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 11:03:05 AM »
+1 to APA. Don't get it either. But I do like most Stone beers, so I wanna try it.
Jon H.

Online goschman

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 01:31:18 PM »
Yeah I think it is mainly a distinction for lower ABV pale ales with a SG:BU similar to an IPA. Doesn't seem to fit in a category so I guess they want to distinguish it in some way. Most I have seen are between 4-4.5% ABV.
On Tap:                       

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 08:09:04 PM »
Just tried it.  I'm as big a hophead as anyone, but this isn't for me.  It's hop juice. 

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 08:58:33 PM »
Just tried it.  I'm as big a hophead as anyone, but this isn't for me.  It's hop juice.

I don't go out of my way to find commercial IPA's any more, but my interest has now been officially piqued. My IPA's have pretty much become hop juice at this point, so it will be interesting to see someone else's take on it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Steve in TX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 10:06:03 PM »
Finally snagged a six pack. I like it. Could use a bit more malt presence.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 05:20:09 AM »
I haven't tried Go To yet, but will look for it soon, at least to give it a try.

I really don't understand the craze with the "session IPA"  - for me, the APA is my 'go to" when i want hoppy but lower ABV.

+1 - I don't like any of them I have tried including "All Day IPA" and "Zombie Dust" everyone seems so crazy about. They are horribly unbalanced beers. I can drink one, then I don't want to go back for another. I find regular a standard pale ale much more sessionable. Hell, IPA is more sessionable to me. I can drink IPA "all day" no problem. ;)
Cowboy. Pirate. Brewer.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 09:51:20 AM »

+1 - I don't like any of them I have tried including "All Day IPA" and "Zombie Dust" everyone seems so crazy about. They are horribly unbalanced beers. I can drink one, then I don't want to go back for another. I find regular a standard pale ale much more sessionable. Hell, IPA is more sessionable to me. I can drink IPA "all day" no problem. ;)
Zombie Dust is 6.4% ABV and 60 IBU, hardly in the same category. But if you don't like Citra, you'll hate it.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 04:19:12 PM »

Zombie Dust is 6.4% ABV and 60 IBU, hardly in the same category. But if you don't like Citra, you'll hate it.

Really? Could have sworn it was under 5%. My bad. Still was very much underwhelmed. Might be it was pumped up too much. Was terribly unbalanced. Just didn't enjoy it.
Cowboy. Pirate. Brewer.

Online HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 04:51:47 PM »

But if you don't like Citra, you'll hate it.

+1. That's my issue with Zombie Dust. I had a pint or two of it fresh, and liked it well enough. But I hit the Citra overload by the end of the second one. I like it in a blend sometimes, but not solo in IPA quantities.
Jon H.