Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ordinary bitter carbonation  (Read 3338 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Ordinary bitter carbonation
« on: March 08, 2014, 07:13:17 am »
I am brewing an ordinary bitter. I am planning to use Jamil's recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. In the book he recommends carbonating to 1-1.5 volumes. That's seems very low.

He states "Since this beer is fairly light body, excessive carbon dioxide can make it seem extra thin, harsh, and hard to drink."

I am curious if mashing at a higher temp to increase body would be an alternative here? Jamil suggests mashing at 152F. I wonder if 160F would increase the body enough to carbonate at 2.4 volumes.

My keg set up has just 1 regulator and I leave it at 11 PSI which is about 2.4 volumes. Having one keg at 0.4 PSI (Beersmith recommendation for 1.5 volumes) would be challenging.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Ordinary bitter carbonation
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 07:40:18 am »
For the same reason I carb everything the same. 10-12 psi at about 40-42°.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 09:49:59 am »
Mashing high probably isn't the answer. I've had beers mashed at 160 then carbed like that and they are still very bubbly.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:11:28 am »
If you have a shutoff valve for each keg you can just turn the one to the bitter off once you get close to your desired carbonation level. Open it up occasionally to keep enough pressure to pour and it will creep up in carbonation very slowly.

Mashing high will help with the body of the beer - 160 should be good - and it might help to offset a higher carbonation level, but not overcome it.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:29:15 am »
If you have a shutoff valve for each keg you can just turn the one to the bitter off once you get close to your desired carbonation level. Open it up occasionally to keep enough pressure to pour and it will creep up in carbonation very slowly.

I do what Troy suggests all the time. Got one in the keezer as I write this. A highly carb'd bitter is just not as enjoyable. The carbonation ruins the malt to bittering hops taste experience.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 01:26:39 pm »
0.4 psig is not enough pressure to get beer out of a keg when it is half empty.  (1 psig = 2.3 ft H2O, 0.4 psig = 0.92 ft).  You'll want more pressure or to use a CO2/N2 blend or turning the keg onto its side.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 01:39:27 pm »

I do what Troy suggests all the time. Got one in the keezer as I write this. A highly carb'd bitter is just not as enjoyable. The carbonation ruins the malt to bittering hops taste experience.

+1
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 06:27:37 am »
I've struggled with same thing. If the beer gets over carbed I do the syringe trick, where you suck up some of the beer in the glass and then shoot it back into the beer. It knocks out some of the co2 and puts a nice creamy head on the beer.
Works well for me.
Dan S. from NJ