Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC shipping issues  (Read 7909 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
NHC shipping issues
« on: March 08, 2014, 10:10:43 am »
I was turned down at the local UPS store to ship my entries...now I am checking for other shippers that will accept the entries for shipment.  Aaarrgghh!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: NHC shipping issues
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 10:24:55 am »
Try Fed Ex, how do you have the box labeled and what did you tell them? I simply box everything up, print my shipping label online via my account and drop it off. No questions asked. If they ask why the box is marked fragile I tell them it's a piece of art and it's double boxed with packing material, never an issue though as I've only been asked once.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 10:28:48 am »
It is being sent to Apex Brew Wares in Independence MO.

Pretty tough to avoid the question - I said it is analytical samples - she then asked if it contained alcohol.  I  not going to lie....

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:29:45 am »
Definitely print your label at home and just drop it off, no questions asked.  It is also slightly cheaper. 

I've long ago given up with marking fragile, this end up, etc. Do you think anyone actually looks at the box?  If anything you are putting a big target on it to be tossed from 8 feet.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:42:47 am »
My second spot was not UPS and has a special shipping arrangement for Beer and wine through a wine shipping company online (not available directly).  Pretty sure that they will treat it right!  And now I know where to go.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 10:49:40 am »
"gifts" is my standard answer, but I haven't been asked this is years, because I have a FedEx account, print my own label, and drop it off with a wave.  No talking.

friends who have worked with both major shipping companies have told me they considered "fragile" and "handle with care" to be a challenge, thus unless the box I'm using already had this marked on it, I don't bother.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:51:42 am by udubdawg »

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 01:25:48 pm »
"gifts" is my standard answer, but I haven't been asked this is years, because I have a FedEx account, print my own label, and drop it off with a wave.  No talking.

friends who have worked with both major shipping companies have told me they considered "fragile" and "handle with care" to be a challenge, thus unless the box I'm using already had this marked on it, I don't bother.

Can't remember who to credit for this one, but my favorite and most truthful response is "yeast samples".
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 01:33:25 pm »
This is what is said at the FedEx website:

"Overview. Only properly licensed wholesalers, licensed dealers, licensed distributors, licensed manufacturers, licensed retailers or licensed importers may ship wine via FedEx® services. Consumers may not ship wine or alcohol of any type via FedEx services."

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 01:48:32 pm »

Can't remember who to credit for this one, but my favorite and most truthful response is "yeast samples".

Except there have been many reports that they're on to that.  I say "gifts".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 01:51:42 pm »
Yeah it's tough when you're shipping to a beer supply store to say you're sending flowers or something. I'm sending mine to Northern Brewer... I did last year too. I just told them that I was returning a beaker. I'm planning on that again Monday when I ship thus years.
Frank

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 02:02:20 pm »

Except there have been many reports that they're on to that.  I say "gifts".

Good to know.
Fortunately, this year two of our LHBS are transporting entries to the Seattle site. Awesome service.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 02:08:52 pm »
Yeah, mine are going to austin Homebrew. I plan on addressing it to austin hbs and telling them it is a return.

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 02:59:14 pm »
I ship via FedEx through my work. We get a really great price and FedEx just shows up and takes the packages. I have been to the store before and when they ask if it is liquids or anything I just say no. The person at the store doesn't really care. I package it well enough that I haven't had issues with broken glass.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 06:23:07 pm »
The July/August issue of Zymurgy had a real good letter entitled "Homebrew Shipping Woes". This is one the the issues that AHA is working on. Does anyone know how much progress has been made?
BTW, I usually say I am returning plant items or I am shipping root beer. But, I like the Fedex suggestion and will pass that along to our club. I am sick and tired of lying about it.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 06:39:31 pm »
I too use a FedEx account and preprint the label. But if I were asked, I'd say "glassware."