Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC shipping issues  (Read 7926 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: NHC shipping issues
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 08:33:26 pm »
Yeah, but I don't like to lie about it.  It is ridiculous that you have to make up things to send homebrews to a competition!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 08:43:39 pm »
It's not made up—it is glassware. I didn't say what it was filled with. :-)

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 09:30:51 pm »
Except that you are expressly violating the company's policy against shipping alcohol.  That bugs me.  There should be a better way....

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 09:51:17 pm »
I agree, but how do you force a private company to do something they don't want to?

I shipped my glass yesterday. Next year I think I'll just make a road trip and deliver it myself. Though delivering round two in person may not be practical, probably not needed either though... ;-)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 10:36:36 pm »
I'm sure the reason for the policies is all of the laws that surround alcohol. This state can't get this, that state won't allow that. Yada Yada Yada. When Ups or fedex do knowingly ship alcohol, such as a wine club, they do require an adult over 21 signature and cannot leave the package.

It's just easier to not do it.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 11:01:59 pm »
I agree, but how do you force a private company to do something they don't want to?

I shipped my glass yesterday. Next year I think I'll just make a road trip and deliver it myself. Though delivering round two in person may not be practical, probably not needed either though... ;-)

Demonstrate that they're losing money.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 11:04:46 pm »
I'm pretty sure this is an issue that the AHA is working on right now. The USPS is discussing changing the rules around them shipping alcohol and while it's only for commercial purposes right now that's a foot in the door. It's certainly something I'd hope to help with if I am elected.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 12:12:18 am »

They make most the money shipping for large companies. Our $10-20 two or three times a year is drops in the bucket. Extra training to accept  an deliver alcohol would likely cost more than it is worth to them.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 01:23:56 am »
Hey, the President homebrews. Maybe the aha could invite him to submit a beer or two to NHC, and then see the burdens we all face.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 05:46:42 am »
Hey, the President homebrews. Maybe the aha could invite him to submit a beer or two to NHC, and then see the burdens we all face.

I am pretty sure that the Secret Service would cut through any delivery issues!

Offline jeremy0209

• Cellarman
    • Brewing with Jeremy
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 08:12:51 am »
I'm lucky that my drop off point is only about an hour drive from me, so for round one, I'm making the road trip.  It will probably cost me more in gas, but at least I know they'll get there safely.  Plus, it gives my beer a few more days in optimal conditions at my house instead of laying in a warehouse.  I'll figure out round 2, if I get through round 1.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2014, 10:14:20 am »
The July/August issue of Zymurgy had a real good letter entitled "Homebrew Shipping Woes". This is one the the issues that AHA is working on. Does anyone know how much progress has been made?

I don't know a lot and I'm at liberty to say even less, but I assure that the AHA continues to work on shipping from several different approaches.  But when you deal with governmental regulations, it's slow going.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2014, 10:16:49 am »

The AHA tried to convince several shipping companies of that.  They all said that there wasn't enough money in it to make it worth their while.  That may seem absurd to us, but they have a different idea of "worth it".

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2014, 11:43:55 am »

They make most the money shipping for large companies. Our $10-20 two or three times a year is drops in the bucket. Extra training to accept  an deliver alcohol would likely cost more than it is worth to them.

Right. I didn't mean to say that they are in fact losing money by not taking our business. But the ability to make a profit would certainly drive their decision.  So perhaps what we're learning is that the regulatory framework for shipping homebrew as is it is makes it a prohibitive venture for the freight companies. It appears the AHA is focusing on the regulatory aspect. Seems a daunting task regarding national competition, with much of the red tape at the state level.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2014, 11:50:19 am »
Right. I didn't mean to say that they are in fact losing money by not taking our business. But the ability to make a profit would certainly drive their decision.  So perhaps what we're learning is that the regulatory framework for shipping homebrew as is it is makes it a prohibitive venture for the freight companies. It appears the AHA is focusing on the regulatory aspect. Seems a daunting task regarding national competition, with much of the red tape at the state level.

My understanding is that there's not enough volume/money on shipping homebrew to make it worth it to them.  Which is why the AHA is concentrating on the regulations.

www.dennybrew.com