Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC shipping issues  (Read 7910 times)

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: NHC shipping issues
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2014, 12:10:48 pm »
I agree, but how do you force a private company to do something they don't want to?

I shipped my glass yesterday. Next year I think I'll just make a road trip and deliver it myself. Though delivering round two in person may not be practical, probably not needed either though... ;-)

Demonstrate that they're losing money.

The AHA tried to convince several shipping companies of that.  They all said that there wasn't enough money in it to make it worth their while.  That may seem absurd to us, but they have a different idea of "worth it".
+1           It is a SLOW process

The AHA is VERY aware of this need.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Tim Thomssen

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2014, 12:38:08 pm »
In my experience UPS seems to treat this as a don't ask don't tell type of situation.  I ship to competitions all the time, I pay online and drop off at the UPS service center and have never been asked about the contents.

Last year I got the dreaded email from UPS saying that my package had been damaged and was being returned.  When it arrived back to me I noticed there was one bottle missing that had obviously broken.  What was interesting was they completely repackaged the remaining bottles, bagged them and placed them in a new box.  They also included some packaging guidelines that suggested using enough packing material to keep the bottles at least 2 inches apart.  It was obviously beer in the bottles but they did not mention that or provide any type of scolding that you might expect for violating their policy.

I'm thinking they have the policy in place simply to limit their liability exposure in case alcohol was shipped to a minor.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2014, 06:20:26 pm »

I agree, but how do you force a private company to do something they don't want to?

I shipped my glass yesterday. Next year I think I'll just make a road trip and deliver it myself. Though delivering round two in person may not be practical, probably not needed either though... ;-)

The AHA tried to convince several shipping companies of that.  They all said that there wasn't enough money in it to make it worth their while.  That may seem absurd to us, but they have a different idea of "worth it".
is this because of the expense of the assumed liability or something else because I'm pretty sure that they make money on everything they ship regardless of one large account or one persons package. I know that every package I drop off I get a really nice thank you and a smile to boot!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2014, 06:31:05 pm »

is this because of the expense of the assumed liability or something else because I'm pretty sure that they make money on everything they ship regardless of one large account or one persons package. I know that every package I drop off I get a really nice thank you and a smile to boot!

I'm wondering the same thing. It would be interesting to know what it is specifically that makes the delivery of homebrew not "worth their while". If that's the case why do any individual shipments? Seems to me that liability could reasonably be placed on the sender if the concern is underage receipt. What about an exemption for non-commercial shipment?  Sorry, just thinking out the keyboard while sampling BDSA. Probably not the best path to a good solution.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2014, 06:44:34 pm »
I think a large part of it is the liability. Various laws, interstate transport, delivery to minors, would the people that accept the package need to be 18 or 21, must be some of their concerns. My guess is it is easier to not deal with it and only work with registered shippers.

Maybe Homebrew shops can be a bridge between homebrewers and comps.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2014, 07:01:32 pm »
It must be the assumed liability of the shipper in the event a minor accepts the package and well..the litigious society we live in would add to the overhead of insurance for it.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2014, 09:57:11 am »

My understanding is that there simply aren't enough homebrewers to make it worth their while to change what they're doing now.  Beyond that, I know nothing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2014, 01:42:59 pm »
My first round entries were received at the shipping location today via UPS.

My first step towards Ninkasi!!   ;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2014, 02:46:17 pm »
I'm driving a bunch of entires for myself and others to the Chicago and Minneapolis locations this weekend... Chicago ones should be dropped off Friday and MN ones Sat. Planned the trip to MN so we could enter Chicago as primary and MN as secondary so either way we would be dropping them off :D
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2014, 02:52:52 pm »
A guy in our club is hauling entries to Zanesville this weekend. He has family there.

We hauled club entries, and for some other brewers to Indy when first round was there. I have family there.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2014, 02:54:05 pm »
A guy in our club is hauling entries to Zanesville this weekend. He has family there.

We hauled club entries, and for some other brewers to Indy when first round was there. I have family there.
Yeah I remember... that was the year I was screwed and my entries were deleted lol.
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2014, 02:55:42 pm »
I figure handling wise this should be a good year for us Michiganders.  Can drive to round 1 drop offs and round 2.  No shipping = happy beer lol.  I just wish I had better beers ready right now :-/
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2014, 04:32:40 pm »
Chicago drop off is in Aurora.  So I'm shipping mine anyway.

They went out by UPS this morning.  Saves me a two hour scenic expressway round trip.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2014, 04:56:42 pm »
UPS took mine today... You're all going down!  :P
Frank

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2014, 07:20:47 pm »

Yeah I remember... that was the year I was screwed and my entries were deleted lol.

Can you explain that? Can't remember. Konrad and Phil did well if IIRC.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!