Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Details of Nitro ?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
Details of Nitro ?
« on: March 09, 2014, 09:51:08 am »
So There seems to be way to many different ways to "get a nitro setup working" and i would like to know so details. I have all that is needed nitro faucet, 75%/25% beer gas mix and correct regulator. Questions are:

1. Do i need to get nitro into solution? I know it is "not very soluble in solution".

2. Does a nitro setup push both C02 and nitrogen out of solution?

3. What are suggestions on "how to" with a nitro setup?

I currently carb to about 1.5 vol then hook up to beer/gas mix and dispense. It seems that the very first pour has a little cascading but the next poor does not and seems to have just normal carb levels of 1.5 vol with more of a head. I do notice that if i leave it hooked up to beer/gas over time it seems to start pouring correctly. 

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Details of Nitro ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 08:24:09 pm »
What pressure and temperature are you using?  If you want 1.5 volumes of CO2 and that works out to 5 psi at your serving temperature, then you need to push at 20 psi at that same temperature with a 75/25 N2/CO2 mix.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 09:55:46 pm »
38 F serving at 24psi with beer gass mix.  1.5 vol is hard to get being that I would need to set my regulator to.7. So I normally set it to around 5 psi for half the time I would normally if that makes since. I do not ever have an over foaming problem.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 11:28:32 pm »
At 38F and 1.5 volumes, yes, it is under 1 psi.  Setting it to 5 psi for half of the time doesn't actually make sense to me, and I think your beer is under carbonated to start.  The reason it starts to pour correctly after you leave it hooked up for a while is that the CO2 level comes up to 2 volumes (6 psi at 38F).  I would set it to 6 psi to begin with and carbonate your keg to 2 volumes.  It should pour right every time when you move it to nitro at 24 psi for serving.
Tom Schmidlin