Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thoughts/Opinions  (Read 6570 times)

Offline mklawz

• 1st Kit
Re: Thoughts/Opinions
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 07:23:50 am »
Was I yelling?  Because of ALL CAPS?  Geez come on.  What's the protocol for replying like that then, I'm not very forum-savvy apparently.  I thought I offered very good explanations (albeit a bit lengthy in spots I agree). 

My first post?  I guess on AHA is it.  When they took it over from NB I decided I couldn't handle another forum.  I used to be very active on forums like NB, Midwest, HBT.  I put in my time on the forums trying to help newbies and share my knowledge and experience.  You should know that since you and I shared about 20 emails leading up to the comp trying to help you.  Now multiply that by dozens of other people asking questions and then you might get an idea on how much time we put in.   Anyway,  I got burnt out on the forums, that's all.    Not sure why I'm defending myself anyway...

You should know that some people I know who have read this is taking your "curiosity"  as questioning the integrity of our competition.  I told them to  give you the benefit of the doubt ;)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 08:07:43 am »
I think the caps where used to differentiate question from response. Not to yell.

PS. I enter one comp a year. My local club's comp. The club is full of my friends and I want to support the comp. Plus it is fun to get a medal in front of my friends (rarely I admit.)

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 08:09:32 am »
I really wouldn't have an issue entering a competition where 99% of the entries came from 1 club...and I was the only non-club member in the competition.  My beers should still have the exact same chance to medal as they would in any other comp (assuming handling to and at the comp is the same for all given entries).
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline Stevie

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 08:11:18 am »

PS. I enter one comp a year. My local club's comp. The club is full of my friends and I want to support the comp. Plus it is fun to get a medal in front of my friends (rarely I admit.)

Before this year, I did the same. I think many club members will enter their own club's comps to support their club. They are direct benefactors of the money raised.

Offline mklawz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 08:18:05 am »
I think the caps where used to differentiate question from response. Not to yell.

Thank you, alestateyall.  LESSON LEARNED!   ;D

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 08:44:20 am »
...Now multiply that by dozens of other people asking questions and then you might get an idea on how much time we put in. 

Oh my God, if people had any idea how much time is spent answering the same 20-25 questions from seemingly every single entrant... no one would be a competition organizer! Hahahahaha.  ;D But seriously, answering those same questions over and over and over again... you couldn't pay me to do it next year!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 09:00:21 am »
All right everybody, boy am I sorry I posted this in the first place! We can all stop bashing Gary now and get on with our Monday.

I get it, I'm not questioning the integrity of the club, it's participants or the competition and this has really turned into something beyond, well, I don't know.

To those that offered up the insight into the entry numbers, etc in a constructive way to what I originally asked, thank you. To those that I obviously offended or put off, my sincere apologies. I think I'll just keep my posts related to beer topics moving forward.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Gary
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Bruce B

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Overcome, Improvise, Adapt.
    • Bruce's Brewing Adventures
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 09:29:24 am »
...MOST PEOPLE DONT HAVE THE FIRST CLUE ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF WORK IT TAKES TO PUT THESE THINGS ON....

Amen my brother!
Prosit, Sláinte, Salute, Na Zdravi, Cheers! - Bruce
Beer Barons of Milwaukee - http://www.beerbarons.org
Coordinator - Midwinter Homebrew Competition
BJCP National, Mead, & Cider Judge
BJCP Education Director
AHA NHC Final Round Judge Coordinator

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 09:42:39 am »
Was I yelling?  Because of ALL CAPS?  Geez come on.  What's the protocol for replying like that then, I'm not very forum-savvy apparently.  I thought I offered very good explanations (albeit a bit lengthy in spots I agree). 

My first post?  I guess on AHA is it.  When they took it over from NB I decided I couldn't handle another forum.  I used to be very active on forums like NB, Midwest, HBT.  I put in my time on the forums trying to help newbies and share my knowledge and experience.  You should know that since you and I shared about 20 emails leading up to the comp trying to help you.  Now multiply that by dozens of other people asking questions and then you might get an idea on how much time we put in.   Anyway,  I got burnt out on the forums, that's all.    Not sure why I'm defending myself anyway...

You should know that some people I know who have read this is taking your "curiosity"  as questioning the integrity of our competition.  I told them to  give you the benefit of the doubt ;)

Your points are valid, but you made them a little strongly.  As you said, give him the benefit of the doubt.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 10:10:36 am »
First - I'm also a competition organizer, so I understand that's it's a tough job. Contestants have every right to ask questions, I'm sure you understand that as an organizer you must calmly answer each one. Even if the same question has been asked 20 times, it's the first time that person has asked it.

Second - It's probably rarely meant this way, but YES ALL CAPS MEANS YOU'RE YELLING. At least that's how people will interpret it. Try the italics button up there. It's a better, more subtle option. CAPS LOCK is also very difficult to read (from a typesetting standpoint), so it's fine for emphasis on a few words, but entire paragraphs are going to frustrate even sympathetic readers. Unfortunately, very few will read through a well-crafted response if it is long - and even fewer if it is difficult to read.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline mklawz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 12:08:32 pm »

I'm sure you understand that as an organizer you must calmly answer each one. Even if the same question has been asked 20 times, it's the first time that person has asked it.

Yes, I know, I've been doing this for a while.   I answered each and every question (hundreds of emails back and forth) very politely and informatively.  I know Gary can attest to that himself.   

In this thread I've had to defend the integrity of my club and competition, my use of ALL CAPS, and my tone of voice.  I think we  can all agree it's gotten silly.   This will be my last post.  I have to go stuff envelops with hundreds of score sheets and dozens of medals!  Looking at the stacks of both, sure seems to me there were plenty of out-of-area competitors!  :)

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 12:18:36 pm »
I have to go stuff envelops with hundreds of score sheets and dozens of medals! 
Oy vey!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Scot (one T)

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 01:10:35 pm »
     I'd wager that in 90% of competitions, the home club takes home a significant percentage of the awards.  It's natural to support your own comp.   A large number of my club members only enter ours.   Some are excellent brewers who have no interest in shipping entries to other cities/states. 

Scot Schaar
River's Edge Fermentation Society
St Paul Homebrewers Club
AHA Member
BJCP Beer and Mead Judge

Offline uchima

• 1st Kit
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 10:46:32 pm »
By the numbers, we (the hosting club) had 27% of the entries. So our winning percentage was a little better than the homebrewing community at large, but only just barely.

As a side note for future competitions (both ours and others'), if you try to enter a competition and find that the entry cap has already been reached, it is worth checking occasionally to see if any entries have been withdrawn. Although our cap was hit within the first few days after registration opened, there were slots opening up all the way until the entry deadline. As a corollary to this, if you register an entry and subsequently (but prior to the deadline) change your mind, please log in and delete it from your account as a courtesy to others who might want your slot! Although we capped at 800 this year, only 733 entries actually showed up.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:52:57 pm by uchima »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 11:10:27 pm »
It's supposed to be sunny and 58° tomorrow.