Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mustard?  (Read 4523 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Mustard?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 09:41:50 am »
I've been thinking about that old mustard thread lately.  I found a jar in the back of the fridge with about an 1" of the last batch from last Fall in it.  It's kind of watery and got me thinking I need to check out the new Indian market at the end of the street. 

Luckily next week is Spring Break and I have the week off.   ;D

I feel the same way about these food threads as Corky.  My wife will shoot me and order that chipper shredder if I pick up anymore "foodie" habits.  I haven't pulled the trigger on cheese making yet because I'd like to see my kids grow up.   ::)

Paul

Paul

I think of cheesemaking as a "filler" hobby - something to do if I don't have time for a full brew day, or if I want to mix things up a bit. It doesn't stink up the house, either, so the wife doesn't give me as much of a hard time about it. I can certainly see where it could get addictive, though.

Back to mustard - anyone ever grow their own seed? I've been meaning to dabble in making stone-ground mustard, but just haven't gotten around to it. It would be really cool DIY to use your own beer AND own seeds.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 09:47:36 am »
I've been thinking about that old mustard thread lately.  I found a jar in the back of the fridge with about an 1" of the last batch from last Fall in it.  It's kind of watery and got me thinking I need to check out the new Indian market at the end of the street. 

Luckily next week is Spring Break and I have the week off.   ;D

I feel the same way about these food threads as Corky.  My wife will shoot me and order that chipper shredder if I pick up anymore "foodie" habits.  I haven't pulled the trigger on cheese making yet because I'd like to see my kids grow up.   ::)

Paul

Paul

I think of cheesemaking as a "filler" hobby - something to do if I don't have time for a full brew day, or if I want to mix things up a bit. It doesn't stink up the house, either, so the wife doesn't give me as much of a hard time about it. I can certainly see where it could get addictive, though.

Back to mustard - anyone ever grow their own seed? I've been meaning to dabble in making stone-ground mustard, but just haven't gotten around to it. It would be really cool DIY to use your own beer AND own seeds.

I do to the extent that I always plant at least some mustard in my garden for greens and cover crops and at least some of that is always left to flower for the bees and at least some of that is saved from the chickens. But I haven't made mustard from the seeds. I saved the seeds and replanted though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 09:49:29 am »
I made some mustard yesterday from my irish red and seeds from Monterey spice company.  I make a few jars a year. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

- Charles

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 09:55:51 am »

This has got to stop.  Now I have to try making my own mustard :o. We use Amora, the French equivalent of French's over here(but very deliciously spicy), but a jar that costs about one dollar in France costs about $10 over here and it's hard to find.  We usually just have friends and family mule it across the water to us. 
I went to Penzeys, ordered the seeds and some horseradish powder, I can't wait to start making another food item for the house.

This thread reminds me of this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYey8ntlK_E&sns=em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 10:44:54 am »
Found it!

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=6282.0

Excellent recipe...I've made this with some variations many times, and folks rave about it.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 12:50:22 pm »

This thread reminds me of this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYey8ntlK_E&sns=em

I've never seen Portlandia before. I see some hours lost up ahead... I think they are on netflix...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 11:15:50 am »
Back to the mustard.  Does it mellow with age?  I put 2 teaspoons of horseradish powder, I think 1 would have been perfect.  It's good,but the horseradish taste overwhelms the mustard flavor somewhat.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 11:41:38 am »
I think it does. Not usually all that great just-made but after a week or so it mellows and loses a great deal of any harshness.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 08:44:43 am »
I think it does. Not usually all that great just-made but after a week or so it mellows and loses a great deal of any harshness.
Thanks Euge, I liked it right away, and if I have a stuffy nose I can just rub some into my mustache and instantly clear my sinuses.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico