Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Habanero/Mango Pale Ale  (Read 13704 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Habanero/Mango Pale Ale
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 01:13:29 pm »
Have you brewed this yet? I assume it's not done but would really like to hear the outcome. Don't forget to update...

This got pushed back. I have three more brews to do for my wedding over the next few weeks then I'm shutting down the brewery for two or three months. I've decided that I need a break from brewing and spend more time with family and do some fishing when the weather breaks and not worry about planning, recipe, yeast, racking, temp control, and kegging for a bit.

But when I come back, this will be one of the first. I'll be sure to let you know... Or you can brew it and let me know  8)
Frank

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 01:31:23 pm »
Ok cool. I was more curious about the amount of heat from the habanero more than anything. I am planning to do a habanero pineapple wit soon but have not decided on how to add the hab. I am thinking about adding it to the secondary with the fruit.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 02:24:35 pm »
Ok cool. I was more curious about the amount of heat from the habanero more than anything. I am planning to do a habanero pineapple wit soon but have not decided on how to add the hab. I am thinking about adding it to the secondary with the fruit.

I would suspend it in it's own bag. That way you can pull it out once you reach your desired heat.
Frank

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 02:32:41 pm »
Yeah that is probably the best plan however it is hard for me to make any hard judgements from incomplete beers. I appreciate the advice!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 02:48:12 pm »
Added 1 dried chile de arbol per gallon at 5 minutes before flameout. The flavor and heat came through nicely. You might consider a similar approach just for the habs. I added them whole straight into the kettle. Also used bitter orange with it. Phenomenal beer. Mango sounds interesting.

I think the heat fades like hops do though.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 02:39:41 pm »
Just finished up my attempt at a Habanero/Pineapple Wit that I will eventually dry hop with Citra. I seeded, deveined, and finely diced one habanero and added to the boil with 5 minutes remaining. It was not detectable in the hydrometer sample I took. I will taste again before dry hopping and decide if I should add some more post fermentation.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 03:04:37 pm »
Just finished up my attempt at a Habanero/Pineapple Wit that I will eventually dry hop with Citra. I seeded, deveined, and finely diced one habanero and added to the boil with 5 minutes remaining. It was not detectable in the hydrometer sample I took. I will taste again before dry hopping and decide if I should add some more post fermentation.

Good to know
Frank

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 04:13:14 pm »
Sounds like one wasn't enough. That's good to know. Also, I'm starting to think that the "heat" fades quickly over a year's time. And perhaps intensity/stability might come from adding to secondary instead?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 04:18:58 pm »
Yeah my fear has always been going overboard. To be honest, I tasted a small piece of the hab about an hour prior to taking the sample. The heat may have still be lingering a bit so it is hard to say if it was really undetectable in the sample. I took one big drink at the end and thought it might be there but I am not sure. I will try to remember to update after tasting again and whether choosing to add more or not.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 04:21:09 pm »
Or in a nylon bag in the keg ? It's my favorite way of adding coffee beans, vanilla beans, etc.. Blatz's method of using teflon tape to tie to the bag is awesome - no worries about getting a seal like when using fishing line. I just like being able to sample and pull the flavoring when it gets exactly where I want it, flavor wise.
Jon H.

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 10:16:07 pm »
So I've been kicking around this idea in my head for about a month now, so I figured to put a rough draft down in writing and get some feedback. I'm looking for a noticeable, but not overbearing mango flavor. I also want more of the habanero flavor rather than heat in this beer. Some heats ok, but I don't want to have to give out a t-shirt every time sombody finishes one lol...

I'm thinking about an OG between 1.055 and 1.060. Maybe a grain bill of 80% two row, 15% Munich, and 5% carapils (for body). This very well could be single hopped with Citra. If not, I'll use a neutral bittering hop and finish with Citra.

For the habanero, I'll de-vein and seed probably just one habanero, bag it, and add it to the boil for the last 5 minutes. Then let it steep for a 30 minute hop stand with the 0 minute hops.

After primary fermentation, it'll get racked onto 5 lbs of fresh mangoes. Once the secondary fermentation is complete, I'll taste it for habanero flavor. If I feel there needs to be more, I'll gut a couple more, bag and drop into the secondary until I get the desired taste.

Ready, set, criticize!

how did you sanitize the mangoes ?

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 03:30:50 am »
So I've been kicking around this idea in my head for about a month now, so I figured to put a rough draft down in writing and get some feedback. I'm looking for a noticeable, but not overbearing mango flavor. I also want more of the habanero flavor rather than heat in this beer. Some heats ok, but I don't want to have to give out a t-shirt every time sombody finishes one lol...

I'm thinking about an OG between 1.055 and 1.060. Maybe a grain bill of 80% two row, 15% Munich, and 5% carapils (for body). This very well could be single hopped with Citra. If not, I'll use a neutral bittering hop and finish with Citra.

For the habanero, I'll de-vein and seed probably just one habanero, bag it, and add it to the boil for the last 5 minutes. Then let it steep for a 30 minute hop stand with the 0 minute hops.

After primary fermentation, it'll get racked onto 5 lbs of fresh mangoes. Once the secondary fermentation is complete, I'll taste it for habanero flavor. If I feel there needs to be more, I'll gut a couple more, bag and drop into the secondary until I get the desired taste.

Ready, set, criticize!

how did you sanitize the mangoes ?

Soooo I still haven't brewed this. But I don't sanitize fruit when I add it to beer. I wash it well. Peel, pit, and cut to size, freeze, thaw, if I puree, I puree... Then add it to the secondary. You're pretty safe once primary fermentation is complete.
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 05:06:50 am »
I also saw that you started another thread about a similar beer. I've actually redesigned this recipe a bit about a month ago. It is on my line up to get brewed... Hopefully next, but I have a big project building a deck onto my house right now, so it still might be a month or so. Here's the recipe...

Batch = 11
OG = 1.060
60 minute mash @ 150 Target pH of 5.4
Mash Water = 10.5
   Gypsum – 7.4g
   Calcium Chloride – 5.0g
   Epsom Salt – 2.6g
Sparge Water = 6
   Gypsum – 4.2g
   Calcium Chloride – 2.9g
   Epsom Salt – 1.5g
Total Water = 16.5
1 gallon of boil off and 1.5 gallons of mash/hop loss accounted for

85% Pale Two Row – 20 lb 8 oz
10% Munich – 2 lb 10 oz
5% Caramel/Crystal 60L – 1 lb 5 oz

60 minute – 1 oz Warrior
5 minute – 2 deveined and deseeded sliced habanero (bagged and allowed to steep through hop stand)
0 minute – 5 oz Citra (Chill to 175 and whirlpool for 30 minutes)
Dry Hop – 2.5 oz Citra in each keg

WLP 001 Cali Ale

Rack onto 7.5 pounds of cubed mangos (bag in paint strainer bag) for each secondary bucket.

Add habanero to keg to taste. Pull when desired heat is present.

Frank

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 08:11:05 am »
I was worried about sanitizing the fruit and habanero before adding it to the secondary.  What I plan to do then is cut up a habanero and let it sit in vodka for an hour.  then put it in the secondary.  With the mangoes, I was going to cube them up, put them in the freezer for at least a day.  Then , using a juicer on the cubes to get the juice.  Then add the juice to the secondary. rack the beer ontop of the juice.  Then added the habanero 3 days or so before bottling

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 04:40:18 am »
I was worried about sanitizing the fruit and habanero before adding it to the secondary.  What I plan to do then is cut up a habanero and let it sit in vodka for an hour.  then put it in the secondary. With the mangoes, I was going to cube them up, put them in the freezer for at least a day.  Then , using a juicer on the cubes to get the juice.  Then add the juice to the secondary. rack the beer ontop of the juice.  Then added the habanero 3 days or so before bottling

why not make your juice, boil for sanitation, then cool covered and add the juice to your secondary?  Seems to me you are getting further from being sanitary while complicating your day.  Not that your day matters much to me, but that's not going to get you a sanitary juice in the end.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)