Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Amt of IBUs from bittering addition for IPA?  (Read 5340 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Re: Amt of IBUs from bittering addition for IPA?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 08:43:07 pm »
The reason I started the post is that I recently made an IPA with IBU of 76 (Calc by beersmith) with only 20 IBU from 60 min magnum bittering.  14 IBUs from centennial FWH, and the rest from centennial/columbus 15,10 and 5 min.  It was bitter, but very smooth and pleasing if I do say so myself.  I tested it against several commertial IPAs and most found it more pleasing (which is of course personal preference).  I was just wondering if it was that most of the IBUs were late? 
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Amt of IBUs from bittering addition for IPA?
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 09:47:46 pm »
The reason I started the post is that I recently made an IPA with IBU of 76 (Calc by beersmith) with only 20 IBU from 60 min magnum bittering.  14 IBUs from centennial FWH, and the rest from centennial/columbus 15,10 and 5 min.  It was bitter, but very smooth and pleasing if I do say so myself.  I tested it against several commertial IPAs and most found it more pleasing (which is of course personal preference).  I was just wondering if it was that most of the IBUs were late?

That, and your choice of Magnum for your bittering hop. Magnum gives a pretty smooth/clean bitterness. There are other varieties that have more bite to them like Chinook and Columbus. When used at 60 minutes, they leave a more aggressive, lingering bitterness.

First Wort Hopping and late/flameout/whirlpool hopping leave a much smoother bitterness than a traditional 60-minute bittering charge.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer