+1 to all of Michael's suggestions. I have yet to make a mead that doesn't require some sort of post-fermentation adjustment. I suppose if I had the time and resources to brew the same recipe consistently I'd be able to dial it in. But I am generally only brewing 2-3 meads a year, using whatever fruit I have that is fresh and crying out to be made into mead, and at whatever ambient temps I have in my basement.
I've learned to target the low end of the gravity range, because you can always add honey back, but can't take it out if it finishes too sweet.
For your particular issue with this mead, I'd start with acid blend. That will help with the "bland" and may add the perception of mouthfeel by giving a bit more "juiciness". If the mouthfeel is still thin at that point, then you can add tannin. When I adjust my meads, I start with honey (if needed), then acid (if needed), then tannin (if needed).