Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fruit (cherries) in primary  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Howhownow

• 1st Kit
fruit (cherries) in primary
« on: March 07, 2014, 06:26:20 pm »
I have looked around for input on the subject, and have found the prevailing wisdom to be, for the most cherry flavor, rack onto the fruit in the secondary. My question is: since I usually avoid secondary altogether, why not just add to the primary carboy after fermentation is (mostly) complete? I understand that it will restart fermentation.
Couple notes- it's going in with a saison. I am also using a wide mouth 6.5 gallon fermenter.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: fruit (cherries) in primary
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 06:27:33 pm »
it would likely be just fine. the yeast will not be particularly reusable after but if that is not a concern then have at.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 06:37:02 pm »
I usually do my cherries in a secondary. Whichever you do, I think will work. But I will give you this piece of advice.... Tie your cherries off in a sanitized paint strainer bag whether it's a 5 or 1 gallon bag depending on the amount of cherries you use. It makes for a much easier clean up.
Frank

Offline atdupree

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 06:39:20 pm »
I've done something like this before (in a Belgian quad), but I actually added the cherries after the boil and left them in for 15 minutes...basically trying to sanitize the fruit.  Then I cooled off the wort with an immersion chiller, and put everything into a plastic bucket for the primary (no way I was going through the hassle of getting cherries in and out of the carboy!).  About seven days in, I scooped the cherries out with a sanitized strainer, and then the fermentation continue.

I wouldn't swear that this was the right way, but I was pleased with the outcome.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 06:51:56 pm »
I have looked around for input on the subject, and have found the prevailing wisdom to be, for the most cherry flavor, rack onto the fruit in the secondary. My question is: since I usually avoid secondary altogether, why not just add to the primary carboy after fermentation is (mostly) complete? I understand that it will restart fermentation.
Couple notes- it's going in with a saison. I am also using a wide mouth 6.5 gallon fermenter.

Especially with a saison ( which you need to let fully attenuate to be true to style) , but with any beer - add it to secondary. Using secondary is deservedly discouraged now for oxidation risks, but for fruit and dry hops it comes in handy, especially if you use whole fruit. Picture the normal amount of trub/yeast/gunk that you dump from primary, and add the sh#$-ton of GUNK you accumulate from dissolved fruit. Makes for a fermenter full of sh@# !  It's why I use fruit puree in secondary - same quality, easier racking, less grief.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:37:29 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Howhownow

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 12:53:58 pm »
Follow up question- either way, how many days would you guys recommend? Also, not worried about the yeast, it's on the third repitch.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 12:57:41 pm »
General rule is 2 lbs per gallon or more. I have used cherries a few times and they make one heck of a mess. You may not only need to use a secondary, but also a tertiary.

Offline Howhownow

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 01:20:31 pm »
Luckily I was still dialing in my fly sparge volumes, so I ended up with around/over six gallons

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 01:46:56 pm »
Follow up question- either way, how many days would you guys recommend? Also, not worried about the yeast, it's on the third repitch.

I'd leave them in until at least the secondary fermentation is over. I think the last time I used cherries, it was close to two weeks. I'm not sure if that's too long or not, but the beer was dandy.
Frank

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 10:21:15 am »
Whole fruit will take longer for flavor extraction than puree because you need to cell walls to break down first. You can freeze the fruit to help rupture the cell walls but there is talk that freezing also ruins some of the fresh flavor of the fruit. I wouldn't look at any longer than two months but taste the beer and see when the cherry flavor stops getting more potent. No reason to leave the beer on the fruit past that point.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing