Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Köln, Dortmund and Düsseldorf recommendations?  (Read 2467 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Köln, Dortmund and Düsseldorf recommendations?
« on: March 11, 2014, 01:17:53 pm »
anyone have any must-try beers from the region? of the Kölschs I've tried Mühlen, Früh, Sion, Küppers, Gaffel, and Testers. The last was my favorite so far.

of the alts I've tried Diebels,Hannen and Frankenheim. Hannen is the cheapest beer I've found in Germany, but also one of my favorites.

I haven't made it to Dortmund yet, but if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:20:22 pm by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Köln, Dortmund and Düsseldorf recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 01:50:39 pm »
In Duesseldorf there are the brewpubs, I like Uerige, but Schluessel,  Im Fueschen, and Schumacher are all good. There is a new one called Kuerzer, have not been there.

In Dortmund there is Hovels Bitter bier, which I liked. Dortmund is not the brewing center it once was.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 02:28:06 pm »
Brauhaus Bonnsch in Bonn does a very nice unfiltered kolsch style beer and is an easy train ride from Dusseldorf or Koln.  When I was there in Sept 2012 they had an excellent marzen as well.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 12:13:49 am »
Awesome! thanks for the recommendations. I've got a train+bus pass for the whole state so it's no problem getting around.  I haven't been to Bonn yet either but it's on my list.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 04:49:13 am »

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 08:41:07 am »
http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/kolnpubs.htm

My favorites were Mühlen and Päffgen.  Also gotta order the Schweinhaxe for dinner, I like Peters for that.

http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/dusspubs.htm

+1 on hopfenundmalz's recommendations for Dusseldorf.  And if you like schnapps, gotta try the Killepitsch there.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 06:22:00 am »
I think Ron's guide is a bit dated. I didn't find it all that helpful in Munich. Maybe the Duesseldorf and Koeln guides are better.

I went to Fuechschen and Schloessel yesterday. I think I liked the former better than the latter, but I'll give it another shot the next time I'm there.

Offline FirstStateBrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Delaware
    • First State Brewers
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 06:46:14 pm »
I enjoyed the Brauhaus Schreckenskammer in Köln many years ago.  :-)
http://www.schreckenskammer.com/
Scott B

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 02:30:12 am »
Got a chance to hit Schreckenskammer, Päffgen, and Mühlen on Friday afternoon/evening. We also hit up Haus Töller.

Hausbrauerei Päffgen was definitely my favorite. We had dinner at Haus Töller. They had Päffgen from the Holzfass (the wooden barrel), and the food was the best German food I've had since I moved here. I'd say it's a "don't miss" if you come here.

It's kind out on the edge of the inner ring, and I have no idea if the staff speaks English or not, but they'll bring you beer without you asking for it, and there's only a few things on the menu so you can probably get by just pointing.

Schreckenskammer was a bit disappointing. All of the tables were reserved, so we didn't stay long. The beer was solid, but not outstanding.