Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Palisade hops - suggested usage?  (Read 7536 times)

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
Palisade hops - suggested usage?
« on: March 20, 2010, 12:24:16 pm »
Just got my second place winnings from a contest - 1 pound of palisades hop plugs 8.5% aa.  I know nothing about the hops, and not really getting a good feel from the fancy internet thingie, so thought I'd ask the experts.  Anyone use this hop before and in what styles seemed to work well in?

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: Palisade hops - suggested usage?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 01:58:22 pm »
Palisade (6.7%) - Palisade is a newer hop variety from the Pacific Northwest bred from the Swiss
Tettnanger. It has moderately strong bittering properties with high oil levels and an earthy, apricotlike
aroma that's often described as "pretty". Some craft breweries are producing all-Palisade pale
ales and IPA's.

From this website: http://www.butlerwinery.com/supplies/Hop%20descriptions.pdf
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:43:30 pm »
Yep, I'd use them pretty much in anything that you want to contribute a pleasant spicy aroma/bitterness to. Use them much like Santiam, Simcoe, US Tettnang or Ultra.  ;)
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline jasoncap

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 11:16:50 am »
Pale Ale or IPA would be a good usage.  I brewed a clone recipe of DFH 60 minute that uses Palisade and Glacier and I liked that combo.

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 04:38:39 pm »
Thank you all!  :)  I think I'll try a pale ale first and then determine if I want to do an IPA if I like the character.

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 05:09:30 pm »
I used Palisade as a finishing and a light-handed dry hop in an American Pale Ale that sat on pureed apricots.  I was going for something along the lines of Aprihop from DogFish but was going for a little more Apricot flavor.  I turned out very good!

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:24:21 am »
It's a great bittering hop, especially in Porters. I use it to bitter my Amber and Brown too. I've even used it in Schwarzbiers and Dunkels. I going to use it in a Bitter with EKG today. I'd have no problem using a pound of them. I've gone trough a few already.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:38:13 am by Malticulous »