Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Corned Beef  (Read 6435 times)

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Corned Beef
« on: March 12, 2014, 05:52:32 am »
I am curing a brisket for St. Patty's day.  Used Ruhlman's recipe for the 5% brine.  Going to slow cook it instead of boiling.  Will post pics when in come out of the cure and when it comes out of the oven.  Reviews of this recipe have been good.  I'll let you know.  Going to do a pastrami after that.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Corned Beef
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 06:41:56 am »
That one might be a candidate for a roasting bag to braise it in. Ruhlman's recipes rock. Good luck we want some food pron.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 06:56:11 am »
I've used Homebrew Chef's recipe for corned beef and as step 1 for pastrami. This year I'm curing a chuck roast, mostly because I didn't want to deal with 10lbs of brisket.

I'm also going to try celery juice as a 'natural' source of nitrates. More to see how it works than out of a fear of nitrates.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:00:20 am by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 07:07:28 am »
That one might be a candidate for a roasting bag to braise it in. Ruhlman's recipes rock. Good luck we want some food pron.

Yeah, I think that would work well.  Ruhlman says wrap it in foil, but I think the roasting bag would be even better.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 10:14:35 am »
Not nitrates! Nitrites, nitrites, nitrites...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 10:17:35 am »
Right, nitrites.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 11:14:54 am »
Anyone ever smoke their corned beef? Oh, my, my, my! A friend has a Traeger and the first time they prepared corned beef for our brew club the whole group went into silent ecstasy. I've managed to duplicate it in my cheap smoker. I start it in a 200F smoker for a couple hours or so, naked, (not me, the corned beef) toward the last, paint it with a fruity BBQ sauce, (raspberry chipotle mango orange habanero mash up)  then wrap in foil and finish in a slow oven until it's as tender as you want. Seriously doubt I'll ever go back to traditional way of cooking it.

BTW, if you don't know it...while your corned beef is still a bit warm, wrap it VERY tightly in cling wrap and refrigerate. When you take it out, it's a nice solid block of meat that you can slice paper thin deli style for sandwiches.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 11:31:45 am »
I've coated corned beef in a layer of pepper/coriander and smoked it. I call it pastrami.  :D  It's time consuming but not difficult. I'm sure other smoke preparations would be good too.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 11:47:29 am »
I smoked corned beef too, great stuff.  I might have to try the Ruhlman recipe, I haven't done that one yet.  Man, I'm getting hungry just thinking about this stuff.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 11:50:43 am »
BTW, if you don't know it...while your corned beef is still a bit warm, wrap it VERY tightly in cling wrap and refrigerate. When you take it out, it's a nice solid block of meat that you can slice paper thin deli style for sandwiches.

I sliced some cold last night for dinner. Nice and thin.  It was delicious with stone ground mustard, cabbage, parsnips, carrots and potatoes.

I did not corn it myself, so I can't take much credit, but it was good and the kids love it, too.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 11:52:00 am »
I smoked corned beef too, great stuff.  I might have to try the Ruhlman recipe, I haven't done that one yet.  Man, I'm getting hungry just thinking about this stuff.

Me too - feeling hungry. It's kind of a one-two punch with the homemade mustard thread !  Now if somebody has a good rye bread recipe we can have the trifecta.
Jon H.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 12:36:57 pm »

Me too - feeling hungry. It's kind of a one-two punch with the homemade mustard thread !  Now if somebody has a good rye bread recipe we can have the trifecta.
Now you're talking!  My rye always comes out too dense, I can't get a good rise out of it.  I even tried adding gluten.  So I'm going to say my rye recipe is not a good one, at least in my hands.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 03:03:52 pm »
*shreik*!

That's pastrami alright! I don't care if it isn't from the navel. Have to restrain myself from gobbling it up before chilling during my quality check! Just like a lot of what we do, it's a process; the chilling makes a huge difference in the finished product.

If you try to slice corned beef or pastrami warm it will just crumble. I always make it ahead of time.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 02:05:47 pm »
*shreik*!

That's pastrami alright! I don't care if it isn't from the navel. Have to restrain myself from gobbling it up before chilling during my quality check! Just like a lot of what we do, it's a process; the chilling makes a huge difference in the finished product.

If you try to slice corned beef or pastrami warm it will just crumble. I always make it ahead of time.

Herschel's slices theirs warm.  Best damn pastrami I ever had.  (Reading Terminal Market)  It seems to hold its shape just fine.  I wonder if it's the quality of the brisket maybe?

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 02:29:44 pm »
I've sliced warm corned beef without it falling apart.  I think the quality of the brisket definitely matters.

Regardless, you can slice it much thinner though when it's cold, IME.

For home made Italian beef, I've tossed them in the freezer for a bit before slicing.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton