Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Corned Beef  (Read 6430 times)

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: Corned Beef
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 03:36:46 pm »
*shreik*!

That's pastrami alright! I don't care if it isn't from the navel. Have to restrain myself from gobbling it up before chilling during my quality check! Just like a lot of what we do, it's a process; the chilling makes a huge difference in the finished product.

If you try to slice corned beef or pastrami warm it will just crumble. I always make it ahead of time.

Herschel's slices theirs warm.  Best damn pastrami I ever had.  (Reading Terminal Market)  It seems to hold its shape just fine.  I wonder if it's the quality of the brisket maybe?

Man, why are you taunting me with that. Now I want one of their reubens...

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 03:47:31 pm »
Yep thin slices. I bet you had to slice much thicker when warm or hot even.

Not sure if it is really a meat quality issue as much as a technique concern. I think it needs to rest at some point to firm up a bit prior to slicing. Also, a sharp knife without sawing away at the meat- one pass per slice will keep each brisket slice more intact. Depends on doneness too I suppose. At some point the meat loses its cohesiveness beyond the point of unctuously tender and is mushy and crumbly no matter what.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 05:49:09 am »
*shreik*!

That's pastrami alright! I don't care if it isn't from the navel. Have to restrain myself from gobbling it up before chilling during my quality check! Just like a lot of what we do, it's a process; the chilling makes a huge difference in the finished product.

If you try to slice corned beef or pastrami warm it will just crumble. I always make it ahead of time.

Herschel's slices theirs warm.  Best damn pastrami I ever had.  (Reading Terminal Market)  It seems to hold its shape just fine.  I wonder if it's the quality of the brisket maybe?

Man, why are you taunting me with that. Now I want one of their reubens...

Sorry Marc, I'll be sure eat one in your honor the next time I'm up there!  ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

narvin

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 08:57:05 am »
I'm trying this Pastrami recipe for St. Patty's this year.  It's corned and rubbed so far and ready to be smoked tomorrow and finally steamed.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/close_to_katzs_home_made_pastrami.html

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 09:33:00 am »
Didn't brine one myself this year but I'll be cooking it in the morn with beer and then wrapping it in foil and keeping it warm in the smoker for a couple hours while I mess with the veggies before the folks come over.

I bought two this year, second one is destined for pastrami later on.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 10:44:47 am »

Best corned beef on the planet.

Love Herschel's

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/hershels-east-side-deli-philadelphia?select=C0SHylCMmvZUEKOg6RxFzw#C0SHylCMmvZUEKOg6RxFzw
Ron Price

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 11:11:16 am »

Best corned beef on the planet.

Love Herschel's

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/hershels-east-side-deli-philadelphia?select=C0SHylCMmvZUEKOg6RxFzw#C0SHylCMmvZUEKOg6RxFzw

I had 3 reubens in the week I was there for NHC. Liked those more than the cheesesteaks...

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 07:41:23 am »

Fresh out of the oven, fat trimmed off.  Super tender, but still sliceable.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 07:43:08 am by redbeerman »

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 07:42:26 am »
Sammich for lunch 3/18.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 07:53:51 am »
I'm also going to try celery juice as a 'natural' source of nitrites. More to see how it works than out of a fear of nitrites.
For the record, I used about 24 oz of celery juice (1.25 heads of celery juiced) and it did not work as planned.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 08:10:59 am »
I'm also going to try celery juice as a 'natural' source of nitrites. More to see how it works than out of a fear of nitrites.
For the record, I used about 24 oz of celery juice (1.25 heads of celery juiced) and it did not work as planned.

Can you elaborate?  Was it nasty?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 08:22:46 am »

Not nasty at all, but it had the taste and consistency of corned beef made without nitrites. No red color and no cured flavor and texture. More like spiced pot roast - like the first time I made corned beef and didn't have any pink salt.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 08:24:56 am »

Not nasty at all, but it had the taste and consistency of corned beef made without nitrites. No red color and no cured flavor and texture. More like spiced pot roast - like the first time I made corned beef and didn't have any pink salt.

Now that you say it, that explains the Whole Foods corned beef I had last weekend.  It was good, but was exactly as you describe.  Brown instead of red.  I assumed it was just some weird artifact of it coming from Whole Foods.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

narvin

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 09:23:22 am »
Cross posting from the St. Paddy's day thread... Pastrami turned out delicious!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 10:38:54 am »
Sammich for lunch 3/18.

For the record...Jim gave me a sample of his corned beef, and it is delicious...Well done!  :)

Well balanced flavor. A hint of sweetness with some moderate spice and tender to the bite.
Ron Price