Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bo Pils yeast strain recommendations?  (Read 6731 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Bo Pils yeast strain recommendations?
« on: March 12, 2014, 09:11:26 am »
I have a Bohemian Pilsner coming up soon on my brewing schedule. I've never brewed this style before and was wondering what everyone had for suggestions. It will be a bit on the hoppy side (surprise), and I'm going to be using Motueka for my hops, so I want a yeast that will let some of that lime zest/lemongrass character shine through. I've been looking at 2000, 2001 and 2278, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Also, any suggestions what to brew next after the Pils with that yeast? I already have a doppelbock going, so Baltic Porter seems like the obvious choice for a bigger lager. But I'm leaning towards thinking outside the box a bit and doing some experimenting.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Bo Pils yeast strain recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 11:21:38 am »
I recently used Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager for a BoPils and a German Pils and it came out nicely. Good attenuation and no diacetyl.
Dan Chisholm

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:42:13 am »
I would use 2278, and then brew a Czech Dark Lager. I just tapped my Dark Lager, and it is phenomenal. Very crisp and hoppy.
Kyle M.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 11:51:42 am »
I have a Bohemian Pilsner coming up soon on my brewing schedule. I've never brewed this style before and was wondering what everyone had for suggestions. It will be a bit on the hoppy side (surprise), and I'm going to be using Motueka for my hops, so I want a yeast that will let some of that lime zest/lemongrass character shine through. I've been looking at 2000, 2001 and 2278, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Also, any suggestions what to brew next after the Pils with that yeast? I already have a doppelbock going, so Baltic Porter seems like the obvious choice for a bigger lager. But I'm leaning towards thinking outside the box a bit and doing some experimenting.
I would go with 2206, 2124 or 2278. I like your Baltic idea but how about Schwarzbier if you've not tried that? They can be fantasitcally interesting and refreshing dark lagers.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 01:01:04 pm »
I would go with 2206, 2124 or 2278. I like your Baltic idea but how about Schwarzbier if you've not tried that? They can be fantasitcally interesting and refreshing dark lagers.

I was thinking of brewing something big, but I should have 2 fermenter spots open when the Pils is ready. Maybe I'll split the cake and do a Schwarz on one and something else on the other half. Maybe something with the new Red X malt from Best. Decisions, decisions...
Eric B.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 01:51:47 pm »
I would go with a Saaz-type (Bohemian) yeast strain such as 2000, 2001, or 2278. Wyeast 2124 is Weihenstephan W-34/70, which is a Frohberg-type (Bavarian) yeast strain. 

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:53:20 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 01:55:55 pm »
I would go with a Saaz-type (Bohemian) yeast strain such as 2000, 2001, or 2278. Wyeast 2124 is Weihenstephan W-34/70, which is a Frohberg-type (Bavarian) yeast strain.

Yeah, I figured if he's using Motueka hops he's not too worried about staying true to "Boh" style.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 04:12:20 pm »
Yeah, I figured if he's using Motueka hops he's not too worried about staying true to "Boh" style.

Motueka is a perfectly acceptable Saaz substitute.  It is to Saaz what Mt. Hood, Liberty, and Ultra are to Hallertauer Mittelfrüh.   Motueka was developed to be a higher producing, less photoperiod sensitive substitute for traditional Saaz.  The peak day length in Zatec is almost sixteen and half hours. The peak day length in Nelson is a little over fifteen hours.   Anheuser Busch (AB) established Elk Mountain Farms in Bonners Ferry, Idaho because its latitude is in the Goldilocks zone for growing noble hops (Bonners Ferry's latitude is over two degrees further north than that of the Yakima Valley).  At 48.6922° N, AB can grow the diploid landrace hop cultivars instead of their triploid clones.  Sixteen hours of sunlight is the magic number for growing noble hops.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 04:19:47 pm »

Motueka is a perfectly acceptable Saaz substitute.  It is to Saaz what Mt. Hood, Liberty, and Ultra are to Hallertauer Mittelfrüh.   Motueka was developed to be a higher producing, less photoperiod sensitive substitute for traditional Saaz.  The peak day length in Zatec is almost sixteen and half hours. The peak day length in Nelson is a little over fifteen hours.   Anheuser Busch (AB) established Elk Mountain Farms in Bonners Ferry, Idaho because its latitude is in the Goldilocks zone for growing noble hops (Bonners Ferry's latitude is over two degrees further north than that of the Yakima Valley).  At 48.6922° N, AB can grow the diploid landrace hop cultivars instead of their triploid clones.  Sixteen hours of sunlight is the magic number for growing noble hops.

While this may be the true heritage of Motueka, it sure doesn't taste a lot like Czech Saaz.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 05:24:47 pm »

Ok, I'll keep all that in mind next time I'm aiming for a lime zesty/lemongrassy Boh-Pils.  ::)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 05:41:41 pm »
FWIW I don't think the lager yeast strain is as important as the malt and hop flavor for a BoPils. I recently entered my BoPils in a big competition using the 2124 strain and I didn't use Saaz hops. I used Perle and Hersbrucker and I entered it anyway just to get feedback and see where it stood up to the style. It got a 36 and the comments from the BJCP judges were "it needs more Saaz flavor and aroma for a better score".
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 05:44:52 pm »

Ok, I'll keep all that in mind next time I'm aiming for a lime zesty/lemongrassy Boh-Pils.  ::)

+1.  I think Mt Hood and Liberty are at least moderately interchangeable with German Hallertau, whereas Motueka and Saaz maybe not so much for a traditional BoPils.  I do like Motueka in an American-type ale blend though.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 06:22:06 pm »
Yeah, I'm not doing a completely by-the-books BoPils with the Motueka, but that's fine. I can definitely pick up the Saaz-lineage with Motueka, but there is a lime zest/lemongrass flavor & aroma that I love. I'm definitely not planning on a "bombs away" hopping approach, but I am planning on a short hop stand and modest dry hop. I think the Motueka will fit the bill nicely here, and the Saazer parentage will help tie things back into the Bohemian theme. (Motueka was actually originally called "Saaz/B") I guess it will be something of a "Motuemian Pilsner" in the end.

And, to get the train back on the rails, I'm pretty sure the original "Saaz" comment was referring to the yeast's lineage, and not the hop's .
Eric B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 06:39:36 pm »
Yeah, I'm not doing a completely by-the-books BoPils with the Motueka, but that's fine. I can definitely pick up the Saaz-lineage with Motueka, but there is a lime zest/lemongrass flavor & aroma that I love. I'm definitely not planning on a "bombs away" hopping approach, but I am planning on a short hop stand and modest dry hop. I think the Motueka will fit the bill nicely here, and the Saazer parentage will help tie things back into the Bohemian theme. (Motueka was actually originally called "Saaz/B") I guess it will be something of a "Motuemian Pilsner" in the end.

And, to get the train back on the rails, I'm pretty sure the original "Saaz" comment was referring to the yeast's lineage, and not the hop's .

No, I get what you're doing here, and I think it sounds pretty good !  I just thought the advice on using a 'historically accurate' yeast was a little out of place given the spirit of this beer.

EDIT - I think WY2124 would be a good one for this one. It's easy to use and clean.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:59:22 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 08:35:00 pm »
+1.  I think Mt Hood and Liberty are at least moderately interchangeable with German Hallertau, whereas Motueka and Saaz maybe not so much for a traditional BoPils.  I do like Motueka in an American-type ale blend though.

It depends on how it used.   Sure, the citrus notes are going to come through in a big way if one late hops the heck out of a beer with Motueka (most modern craft beers are over-hopped).  However, Moteuka is used as a substitute for Saaz on a regular basis because it has Saaz's spicy notes in addition to the non-Saaz notes.  The same can be said about Liberty.  Liberty is almost like a caricature of Hallertauer.  As an aroma hop, Liberty leaves Hallertauer in the dust. 

With that said, would I use Moteuka instead of Czech Saaz?  Well, if I am going to use an imported hop in a Bohemian-style Pilsener, it would have to be the real thing.  However, seeing that I prefer to use whole cones with a false bottom, I tend to use the U.S. triploids Sterling and Santiam in my Bohemian-style lagers because high-quality whole cone Czech Saaz is difficult to obtain via the home brew trade.  Neither hop is perfect for the job.

With respect to yeast, well, there is huge difference between Saaz (Bohemian) and Frohberg (German) lager strains.  Members of the Frohberg family of lager yeast strains have an additional set of Saccharomyces cerevisiae chromosomes, which makes them less cold tolerant and more attenuative.  Saaz strains produce a beer with more residual sweetness.  Saaz strains also tend to be more flocculent than Frohberg strains, which means that they tend to leave behind above taste threshold diacetyl.  I like a touch of diacetyl in my Bohemian Pilseners.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:05:50 am by S. cerevisiae »