Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I have a fermentation problem  (Read 1366 times)

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
I have a fermentation problem
« on: March 12, 2014, 09:15:45 am »
I made a beer a couple months ago that had me add sugar to the secondary.it didn't seem to reactivate, not much krausen. I went ahead and carb'd it. Now it tastes real sweet. Now here is my conundrum, I want to add yeast to try to dry it out but since it's carb'd I can decarb it and add yeast but, since there is no o2 in it the yeast won't be happy. I don't want to o2 it because of oxidizing it, what shall I do?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: I have a fermentation problem
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 09:17:08 am »
O2 is only needed for yeast growth.  If you pitch enough yeast, you don't need growth.  Use a qt. of slurry from a brewpub, or krausen it with some actively fermenting wort.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:21:20 am »

Thanks Denny knew I could count on you.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 03:35:12 pm »
How much sugar did you add? Style of beer? Stats? I'm always leery of trying to "fix" beers. Salvaging is just that. Less than optimal obviously but I suspect you won't be happy. I hope I'm wrong tho.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 10:17:12 pm »
I agree with Denny - you need to ferment those sugars.  So add yeast.  That may require a fair amount of lagering to clear that beer up, but it is the way to go.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"