Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WY2487-PC Hella Bock Yeast  (Read 2084 times)

Offline wsoublo

• Cellarman
WY2487-PC Hella Bock Yeast
« on: March 10, 2014, 04:34:00 pm »
I'm planning to brew a 1D. Munich Helles using Wyeast 2487.  I've never used this strain before and would like advice on how to achieve a finished beer that emphasizes the malt characteristic of a 1D while obtaining a clean fermentation profile (no diacetyl/esters/acetaldehyde) from anyone who has brewed with this strain.  Specifically, I'm looking for a good fermentation temperature profile (optimal pitching temp, when to start raising the temps, and what final temp I should be targetting prior to reaching FG).  I've brewed lagers previously, so I'm not really looking for generic advice on lagers. 

My current plan is to chill to 45F, pitch and let it rise to 48F and hold until finished.  Then transfer to a keg, slowly chill to 32F and lager for 6 weeks.

Also, from what little I've been able to find, it seems this strain requires 6 - 8 weeks lagering prior to developing its malty profile.  Prior to the 6 - 8 weeks, this strain has a dry, bitter finish with low esters.  Can anyone confirm this?

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Re: WY2487-PC Hella Bock Yeast
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 05:25:27 pm »
Hm, I've always found it to be malty from the get-go. It's a good choice for a 1D.  It flocs a little harder than 2124, attenuates a bit less, and often requires a diacetyl rest, even if I keep it in primary for 4 weeks.

Other than the lack of d-rest, your fermentation schedule sounds fine to me.

Offline wsoublo

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 06:32:55 pm »
Thanks for the feedback AJK.  I guess I'll throw a diacetyl rest in too.  Any word on the esters?  I was shocked to learn that.  I read it on a separate forum, so I was skeptical.

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 08:12:35 pm »
I always detect a little ester in a young lager, but I don't remember it being any more pronounced with 2487 than with other lager strains.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 10:16:49 am »
Thanks for the feedback AJK.  I guess I'll throw a diacetyl rest in too.  Any word on the esters?  I was shocked to learn that.  I read it on a separate forum, so I was skeptical.

I''ve found it to be a great yeast.  Very clean, no esters or diacetyl, no special handling needed.  just a solid, easy to use lager yeast.

Sent from my LGL39C using Tapatalk

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell