Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: !@#$ weather!  (Read 4110 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: !@#$ weather!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 07:03:00 am »
+1.  I worked for an airline for 15 years, and I remember when they actually attempted to configure the seating for comfort. Nowadays you're just another dollar sign that they can pack in like sardines to make more profit.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 08:38:44 am »
ahh the joys of capitalism!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 09:13:19 am »
From the profit perspective, the airlines would be better off removing the seats completely and just just packing the planes like subway cars in Japan.  For short flights just keep packing in people until the plane is full.  Schedule a plane every hour and have people form a line to get on.  No need for crew beyond the cockpit and everyone gets the same experience as now only no uncomfortable seats to cut off circulation in your legs.

8)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 09:14:12 am »
From the profit perspective, the airlines would be better off removing the seats completely and just just packing the planes like subway cars in Japan.  For short flights just keep packing in people until the plane is full.  Schedule a plane every hour and have people form a line to get on.  No need for crew beyond the cockpit and everyone gets the same experience as now only no uncomfortable seats to cut off circulation in your legs.

8)

Paul

now your thinking! Remember last year or the year before they were talking about charging for the bathroom?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 09:17:56 am »
A seat-belt surcharge!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 09:33:58 am »

8)

Paul

The CEO of a cheap airline in Europe made an argument for this a couple of years back. I think it was Ryan air.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 11:14:16 am »
I do think that if you can't figure out how to buckle your seatbelt, you deserve to die in the crash.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 02:23:56 pm »
Boy I hate flying too.  A week ago (Feb 24) I was getting out of the shower at 5:15 a.m. at my mom's house in Denver, getting ready to home to Montana, when my phone rings, and its a robocall from United, telling me that my flight's cancelled.  They get me on a later flight that supposed to leave at 7:20 p.m., only that plan has mechanical difficulty and it doesn't leave until 9:30. I get to Bozeman, and its quarter to midnight. Which wouldn't be so bad, except I live in Helena which is 90 miles away, and it just started snowing. I start the drive home, and it rapidly turns to whiteout conditions.  I try to get a motel room 30 miles away in Three Forks, but the sign at the only motel says "Front Desk closed until 8:00 a.m." So I drive in the whiteout until I get to Townsend, and bang on my buddy's door at 1:45 a.m. to sleep on his couch until daylight, when I could safely drive the remaining 35 miles home.

At least the beers were good in the Denver airport.  I had a very good saison and IIPA from the Boulder brewery.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 03:26:16 pm »
I'm giving it a try again tomorrow! This time first-class all the way there and back. Price was actually quite reasonable considering the short notice.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 09:34:55 pm »
Well, did you make it?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 08:33:00 am »
Yes! I like it here. The Metro is pretty badass and it's a bustling city despite the cold. Been to the National Portrait Gallery, National Gallery of Art and the American Indian museum. Also attended a live performance of Mama Mia last night. Excellent show.

Today cause the weather is much better I'll visit the National Mall to visit the Lincoln, WW2, Vietnam and Korean Memorials etc. If I have the time Arlington National Cemetery.

I've had one beer since arriving here: a DC Brau. Damn fine amber.

Also will have to hit the famous Amsterdam Falafel shop. Within walking distance .

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 08:17:52 pm »
I'm home now after flying Priority om AA. Perfectly and pleasantly buzzed as they plied me with Bourbon and wine. I like the concessions in their terminals. Lots of draft beer and booze. Flights too.

Anyway.

DC was awesome.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 07:56:05 am »
I went to Arlington the last full day I was in DC. Kennedy's tomb and the view; the tomb of the Unknown Soldier with its changing of the guard and wreath presentation; R.E. Lee's house (closed) and L'Enfant's tomb with an even better view of DC; Audie Murphy's grave close by to the mast of the Maine, and the Shuttle crews headstones. There were so many other famous names I recognized.

Made our way over to the Marine Memorial which was very moving. We produce Marines in my family. There's plenty of room on the plinth left for the predicted 500 years worth of conflict. I hope they never fill it up.

Took a fair amount of pics some good some of poor quality. Dang phone. But I think this one is the best:

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2014, 08:01:11 am »
Very cool trip.
Jon H.