Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Flavor Database  (Read 3551 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Hop Flavor Database
« on: March 13, 2014, 10:26:26 am »
Below is a link to a .pdf file I came across today which I found interesting.

http://www.barthhaasgroup.com/images/pdfs/publications/P-62_Zunkel.pdf
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Hop Flavor Database
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 10:33:50 pm »
Very interesting find. Now they need tp publish a matching compendium of hop varieties that list which of each component they contain and how much.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 04:55:53 am »
Very interesting find. Now they need tp publish a matching compendium of hop varieties that list which of each component they contain and how much.

Exactly what I thought. I think that'd be more practical. I mean... I don't think I would use less hops though  :P
Frank

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 07:24:49 am »
More simplified, but in case you haven't seen it.

http://hopschart.com/
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Hop Flavor Database
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 07:44:34 am »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 02:53:54 pm »
http://www.usahops.org/graphics/File/HGA%20BCI%20Reports/Variety%20Manual%207-24-12.pdf

May not have everything.

Right. This has the "big 4" oils (Myrcene, Farnesene, Caryophylline and Humulene), that are commonly reported. What I'm interested in is some of the oils that seem to be popping up in the hop literature in recent years like 4MMP, geraniol, linalool, citronellol, etc.
Eric B.

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 11:02:18 pm »

What I'm interested in is some of the oils that seem to be popping up in the hop literature in recent years like 4MMP, geraniol, linalool, citronellol, etc.
[/quote]

All that stuff that you're looking for and more are listed in the original link.  The way that page is set up you'd need a 72 inch monitor to see it all without scrolling, ha!  I saw that a while back but it blew my mind trying to remember what the headings were so I went back to shoveling snow. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 11:15:48 pm »

What I'm interested in is some of the oils that seem to be popping up in the hop literature in recent years like 4MMP, geraniol, linalool, citronellol, etc.

All that stuff that you're looking for and more are listed in the original link.  The way that page is set up you'd need a 72 inch monitor to see it all without scrolling, ha!  I saw that a while back but it blew my mind trying to remember what the headings were so I went back to shoveling snow.
[/quote]

I'm not seeing the hop varieties listed in the original link, just descriptions of the various compounds. Where this would really become useful is if you have a list of which of these compounds are present in each hop variety, and in what quantities.
Eric B.

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 09:28:11 am »
My bad.  By the time I had a chance to scroll through the whole thing I forgot that they didn't list the individual varieties.  I'm sure that if you started searching the references you'd begin to find some stats on the varieties.  I can't remember hearing anywhere that being hop lovers would be an easy thing, ha!

I did find this though: http://www.academicjournals.org/article/article1379168253_Nance%20and%20%20Setzer.pdf
Only a handful of varieties but probably more of what you're looking for.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 06:54:18 pm by b-hoppy »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 09:24:34 pm »
Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to picking that apart.
Eric B.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 10:33:36 am »

Here you go:

http://origin.library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1109945124065-231/13+x+19+Hop+Oil+Profiles+Poster.pdf
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 09:55:50 pm »

Here you go:

http://origin.library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1109945124065-231/13+x+19+Hop+Oil+Profiles+Poster.pdf

Getting closer! At least this one has geraniol and linalool in addition to the usual four. I guess this is still bleeding-edge research and we may have to wait until we get a full GCMS hop oil "fingerprint" for each variety. Still, some good data here.
Eric B.