Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chemistry of beer flavors  (Read 3472 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Chemistry of beer flavors
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 07:04:05 pm »
segue
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 08:48:28 pm »
The science guys are miles ahead of me on this, but anecdotally, there is something different to a decocted mash (I think).  Not that I think it is necessary for a good beer, but decocted beers seem to benefit from what I understand to be Maillard reactions, so wouldn't the same concept apply at the margin on an extremely vigorous boil?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 11:23:46 pm »
I haven't read the article yet, but I really like using the word maillard. That and even though it drives Denny nuts, I prefer the flavor of melanoidins over caramel. I even have it on my toast.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 09:22:59 am »
I haven't read the article yet, but I really like using the word maillard. That and even though it drives Denny nuts, I prefer the flavor of melanoidins over caramel. I even have it on my toast.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell