Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonating flat beer in bottles  (Read 2619 times)

Offline usabill

• 1st Kit
Carbonating flat beer in bottles
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:36:21 pm »
Hello,
Newbie here and first post.
I have about a dozen brews so far including one all-grain. I recently did a batch (extract kit from NB) called Hopqulia Double IPA. Awesome beer - a bit heavy at 15.4%ABV which doesn't worry me - only those who are not allowed to drive home after a couple beers.  After 4 weeks in bottles the beer is stone flat. I used the fizz drops from NB. I put 1 in each 12 oz bottle and tried 2 in one with no better result.
What is best solution - can I place in keg to carbonate then tap into bottle and seal?
thx
Bill

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Carbonating flat beer in bottles
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 07:43:08 pm »
Have you brewed this before? With the extreme abv the yeast may be done. That's red wine territory.

Keg it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline usabill

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 08:33:18 pm »
Have you brewed this before? With the extreme abv the yeast may be done. That's red wine territory.

Keg it.
First time with this recipe. I want to hand these out in bottles. I have some in keg so guess no harm in trying to bottle from a keg. Was just curious if anyone has experienced same and might share outcome.
thx

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 08:35:50 pm »
Big beers can take some time to carbonate.

Offline usabill

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 08:50:01 pm »
Big beers can take some time to carbonate.
These are '''dead" flat after 4 weeks - not a single bubble. Personally I can drink flat and warm - but others tend to enjoy cold and carbonated.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:58:44 pm »
Do you get a hiss when you pop the cap?

15% is crazy high. What yeast is there is going to be pretty beat up. You can try adding a bit of dry champagne yeast to each bottle, but it will still take time.

I've had big beers in the past that where pretty flat, I stuffed them in the back of a closet and six months later they were good.

Offline usabill

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 10:00:39 pm »
Do you get a hiss when you pop the cap?

15% is crazy high. What yeast is there is going to be pretty beat up. You can try adding a bit of dry champagne yeast to each bottle, but it will still take time.

I've had big beers in the past that where pretty flat, I stuffed them in the back of a closet and six months later they were good.
Hey Steve - this is big beer for sure - after 2 it's nap time. You can smell the alcohol but oddly you can't really taste it - the hops carry it well.
Dry champagne yeast? hmmm - how would you work out proportions?
thx

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 10:39:05 pm »
Honestly, I've never tried it, but I know others have with various levels of success. You could sprinkle a bit in or or mix with a bit of sanitized water and use an eye dropper. Once the yeast consumes the priming sugar it will drop out.

I'm sure somebody here has some more detailed tips.

When I bottle a big beer, I add a pack of dry champagne yeast in the bucket. I think they are 5 gram packs.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 06:18:33 am »
What's your recipe, FG, and process, include your mash details.

knowing how big this beer is you may have a lot of sugar left.

The best bet with these big beers is to force carb them in a keg them bottle from the keg.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 06:49:04 am »
For champagne yeast, you can try removing the cap, dropping 2 or so grains of dry yeast in the bottle, and recapping. Just do a bottle or two, leave for a few weeks and see if they carbonate.

By the way, did you measure final gravity before bottling? Was it what you expected?
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 06:38:24 pm »
There are these:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/prime-dose-carbonation-tablets-200-count.html

I am trying them out on a few styles to see how they work.   Supposedly they are a blend of sugar and CBC yeast.  Convenient at least....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"