Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: False bottom or Screen?  (Read 3622 times)

Offline koop3700

• Cellarman
  • sodus N.Y.
False bottom or Screen?
« on: February 23, 2014, 06:45:55 am »
First time using whole hops quickly realized the need to keep my pick up tube from plugging.What do yous guys use and how does it effect hop utilization? Not concerned with trub and some hops in my fermenter adds to the beer in my opinion.Just curious for something that does the job and will last for many years.

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
Re: False bottom or Screen?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 07:43:15 am »
Neither a screen or false bottom. I bag them in a reusable mesh bag. If I have multiple additions then I use a clothes pin to hold the top of the bag to the rim of the kettle. Super cheap and effective. Bags last forever it seems.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:45:13 am »
Same as bigchicken.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 10:04:32 am »
+ 1 to Denny and bigchicken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AHA Member 900001775

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 10:16:04 am »
Neither a screen or false bottom. I bag them in a reusable mesh bag. If I have multiple additions then I use a clothes pin to hold the top of the bag to the rim of the kettle. Super cheap and effective. Bags last forever it seems.

Same thing I do.  Nice and low tech.
Jon H.

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 11:41:11 am »
I've tried a bag. Didn't like it. I don't use whole hops though. I coughed up the money for a hop stopper from http://www.ihomebrewsolutions.com/?products=the-hop-stopper. I've used it 3 times now with big IPAs and am very pleased.
Trey W.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 11:47:59 am »
I've tried a bag. Didn't like it. I don't use whole hops though. I coughed up the money for a hop stopper from http://www.ihomebrewsolutions.com/?products=the-hop-stopper. I've used it 3 times now with big IPAs and am very pleased.

I only use a bag with whole hops.  Pellets go in loose.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 07:07:19 pm »
I have brewed almost exclusively with whole cones since shortly after Mark Garetz founded HopTech as a mail-order hop supplier.  I prefer to use a false bottom.  A false bottom combined with whole hop cones and an immersion chiller leads to clear cast-out wort.  I modeled my latest kettle after my first commercially-built kettle, which was a St. Pat's of Texas 38.5-quart kettle that I purchased new in 1994 (I was using a keg-based kettle before I purchased the St. Pat's kettle).  St. Pat's used to build their kettles out of 38.5 and 60-quart Vollrath stock pots (if you ever have the opportunity to see an original St. Pat's kettle with the false bottom installed, you will know whose design John Blichmann lifted for his line of kettles, complete with the drain centered below one of the handles).   Unlike the original St. Pat's design, I choose to center my ball valve between the handles on my current kettle.  Like the original St. Pat's design, I used the radius at the bottom of the pot as the stand for the false bottom.  I used a 37-degree AN flare fitting for my pickup tube instead of a compression fitting.  A flare fitting requires very little lateral travel to remove, which makes it possible to get away with drilling a hole in the false bottom that is not much larger in diameter than the pickup tube.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 07:09:40 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 07:34:28 pm »
The original owner at Hoptech was great. May not of had the best selection, but he would open the store special when I called just to sell a few items. Anytime he did that I tried to spend big as a thank you.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 08:19:23 pm »
The original owner at Hoptech was great. May not of had the best selection, but he would open the store special when I called just to sell a few items. Anytime he did that I tried to spend big as a thank you.

I liked that Mark used to have all of his hops analyzed for oil content.  It made getting consistent late hop results a snap.  I also liked that he sold bulk whole hops in nitrogen-flushed mylar bags by the half pound.

Offline deathlylost

• Cellarman
    • 1000 Bottles of Beer
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 01:11:44 am »

I only use a bag with whole hops.  Pellets go in loose.

I use a plate chiller to cool the wort and have to filter it prior to chilling or the chiller gets clogged. I run it through a mesh bag to do this and it's not optimal. If you let your pellets loose, how do you filter them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 09:27:48 am »

I use a plate chiller to cool the wort and have to filter it prior to chilling or the chiller gets clogged. I run it through a mesh bag to do this and it's not optimal. If you let your pellets loose, how do you filter them?

Sent from my iPad using Tpatalk

I don't filter them.  I use an immersion chiller and the pellets go into the fermenter.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline goldingsguy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 11:21:10 am »
Greetings all,
Important point:All my kettles have ball valves on them. I have an indoor 5 gal system, and a outdoor 15 gal system, both are All grain.
 In almost 20 years of brewing I experienced clogging from time to time with PELLET hops, but never whole  hops. After I had a 15 gal Pale ale batch clog a bazooka style screen about 2 gallons into the kettle drain I decided that method would never be used again on my systems.  Since I cannot get some varieties of hops in whole cone I made a "mash manifold ring" and used it as a Kettle screen. After reading Palmer's book and building a mash manifold ring out of a stainless steel dishwasher water line ( inside rubber tube removed ), for my smaller indoor all grain system,  I decided to make one that fit right up against the walls of the inside edge of my brew kettles. There is one thing I did differently than I have see others do. I bought some smaller diameter soft copper piping and made it to fit inside the screen and act like a spring to hold the hose against the walls of the kettle.  Works like a charm. It doesn't get in the way of a immersion chiller, and screens out trub, hot break, cold break, whole hops, and pellets hops, so that it runs through my old narrow counterflow chiller if I am using that. I have put over 6 oz of pellet hops and whole hops too into my little brew kettle ( all loose ) and it NEVER clogs. Clearest worts I have ever gotten with any other method. Only costs about 25 bucks to make in an afternoon.  I think it definitely helps with hop utilization to let the hops float around.   If I ever get a flicker account maybe I'll post some pictures.  After seeing and trying other methods this is by far the best method I have found in my 2 systems. I get better hop utilization, no cumbersome hardware in the kettle, and they drain fast leaving everything messy behind no matter how I chill the wort.

Everyone's investment in brewing equipment is different, and everyone's system is different but ...IMHO ...IF you have a ball valve on your brew kettle this is best way to go that I have found so far. If you don't have a ball valve on your brew kettle??...get one, and build a cheap modified manifold ring/kettle screen and save yourself a bunch of time and money.

Have fun brewin' everybody,
Goldingsguy