Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ferreting out the cause of possible infection?  (Read 5395 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Ferreting out the cause of possible infection?
« on: March 14, 2014, 08:18:04 am »
Hi all. I think I may have had my first infection. I have a Northern English Brown that I carbed pretty low and after about 2 months in the bottle I started getting excesive carbonation. Not gushers but definitely WAY over carbed. I could detect an of flavor in the form of a bit of souring maybe? The beer was clear. Not sure where my procedural breakdown occured but my plan is to replace all my siphon hoses and soak all my siphon, bottling and "wort contact" apparatus in PBW. I batch prime and bottle using a bucket. The bucket seems OK, I don't scrub it when I clean it, in fact, I don't really do much other than rinse it really well between bottling batches and starsan it. I do remove the tap every time and rinse it as well.
I'm on the fence on whether or not to replace the bucket or just let it soak over night in PBW.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Ferreting out the cause of possible infection?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 08:22:29 am »
if it's an infection any you want to be safe I would at least replace the spigot on the bucket. are you 100% sure the beer was at terminal gravity?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 08:34:45 am »
if it's an infection any you want to be safe I would at least replace the spigot on the bucket. are you 100% sure the beer was at terminal gravity?
It did finish at my intended FG. stayed there for a few days before I bottled. The carbonaion level was about right for something like  5 weeks then it started to get a little crazy like 1 inch of beer and 5 inches of foam in the glass. So far, my plan is o run out to the LHBS and get new hoses and a spigot. I mostly just rinse my bottling stuff, siphon and bucket after a bottling session. I wonder If I should be hitting it with PBW or if thats overkill.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 08:39:29 am »
It did finish at my intended FG. stayed there for a few days before I bottled. The carbonaion level was about right for something like  5 weeks then it started to get a little crazy like 1 inch of beer and 5 inches of foam in the glass. So far, my plan is o run out to the LHBS and get new hoses and a spigot. I mostly just rinse my bottling stuff, siphon and bucket after a bottling session. I wonder If I should be hitting it with PBW or if thats overkill.

as long as you dissolve the PBW it's not overkill. I imagine the PBW if undissolved might scratch the bucket though, at least that's always my concern.

Is it every bottle? or at least every bottle you've opened since you noticed the problem?
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 08:44:34 am »
How much priming sugar did you add? And does it taste infected?

If it's not truly infected, you could decarb the bottles a bit. Get somebody to help you. They crack them open and how recap them. You have to be ninja quick, or you'll have a mess. I saved a beer by doing this once. I actually recapped twice before they were good.
Frank

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 08:51:21 am »
The way it played out was, I opened a bottle last night and it was almost all foam and had a bit of an off taste. the previous bottles I had from this batch we're OK up to this point. I had about 12 bottles left so I checked another. There semed to be a bit more trub in the bottom of the remaining bottles. The next one was exactly the same, as was the next one and so on. Something was going on for sure. The bottles Weren't gushers and did not foam over. I only got exces foaming when I poured so I can only assume it was a low level infection of sorts. As for the carbing level. I added 1.8 ounces of corn sugar to 2.5 gallons of beer. was supposed to be around 2.3 vol of CO2.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:53:12 am by swlusk »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 08:57:06 am »
You probably just need to replace all plastic and rubber components, then your problems will disappear.  It happens.  It's happened to me a dozen times or more.  Eventually I switched to glass fermenters and I'll never use plastic again.  Can't get away from the tygon hoses but I'll just replace those every couple of years.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 09:04:09 am »
You probably just need to replace all plastic and rubber components, then your problems will disappear.  It happens.  It's happened to me a dozen times or more.  Eventually I switched to glass fermenters and I'll never use plastic again.  Can't get away from the tygon hoses but I'll just replace those every couple of years.
I'm good with that but darn it.. I realy like my better bottles! I never scrub them thoug. Just let them soak overnight in PBW. :D
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 10:48:40 am »
I've never had an infection problem with better bottles.  IME, you can clean and sanitize them pretty much just as well as glass.  I've had one or two batches that went south in the last few years but I did not have to toss the fermenter, just the nasty beer.

When I've had bottles that are badly overcarbed, the yeast from the bottom of the bottle gets dragged up into suspension when you open them.  I believe this causes additional nucleation sites for more foaming and it also has an impact on flavor.  I wonder if that's what you're tasting?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 11:21:15 am »
What is your cleaning and sanitation process for your bottles?  it is a distinct possibility that the bottles needed to be cleaned better.  Not saying that the other stuff isn't infected, but I would not rule out the bottles as the culprit in light of the length of time the infection took to show up.

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 11:56:53 am »
Hi all. I think I may have had my first infection. I have a Northern English Brown that I carbed pretty low and after about 2 months in the bottle I started getting excesive carbonation. Not gushers but definitely WAY over carbed. I could detect an of flavor in the form of a bit of souring maybe? The beer was clear. Not sure where my procedural breakdown occured but my plan is to replace all my siphon hoses and soak all my siphon, bottling and "wort contact" apparatus in PBW. I batch prime and bottle using a bucket. The bucket seems OK, I don't scrub it when I clean it, in fact, I don't really do much other than rinse it really well between bottling batches and starsan it. I do remove the tap every time and rinse it as well.
I'm on the fence on whether or not to replace the bucket or just let it soak over night in PBW.

Thanks

Why not just replace it all?

If you replace everything EXCEPT the bucket, and the bucket is what's harboring the infection, you'll be replacing everything all over.

Purge it all.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 12:13:30 pm »

Thanks

Why not just replace it all?

If you replace everything EXCEPT the bucket, and the bucket is what's harboring the infection, you'll be replacing everything all over.

Purge it all.

don't get rid of it! keep it for sours man!
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 12:16:29 pm »

don't get rid of it! keep it for sours man!
[/quote]

That's what I did Mort!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 01:23:57 pm »
Get rid of the ferret instead.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 01:25:20 pm »
Get rid of the ferret instead.

Good call.  I suspect the ferret.    ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:59:40 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.