Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ferreting out the cause of possible infection?  (Read 5425 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Re: Ferreting out the cause of possible infection?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 01:44:43 pm »
Get rid of the ferret instead.

No way! That's where all the flavor is!  ;)
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 04:20:40 pm »
Get rid of the ferret instead.

No way! That's where all the flavor is!  ;)

Nobody likes those smelly marmots!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 04:23:34 pm by fmader »
Frank

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 04:22:04 pm »
Nobody likes those smelly marments!

I wanted one as a kid, then I smelled a friends. nope.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 04:28:54 pm »
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 04:35:54 pm »
 :) :D ;D     Awesome !   Good reference.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 10:53:53 am »
I vote for clean and sanitize the equipment. I use my bottling equipment for sour and non-sour beer and do not have crossover infections.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 11:38:01 am »
I vote for clean and sanitize the equipment. I use my bottling equipment for sour and non-sour beer and do not have crossover infections.

Ok, then advise as to your cleaning and sanitizing routine - prolonged PBW soak?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 02:57:04 pm »
Getting this train back on the rails.......

IME, and I have been bottling for a long time, it's typically the bottles and/or caps and not the equipment. My thoughts on this are that the first several/many bottles were fine but they may have been consumed early enough.

Usually if it's the equipment infections so up quicker so the early bottles would have had some sour to them as well, not just the last. I would evaluate your bottle/cleaning/sanitizing process here first before tossing a bunch of equipment just because. Maybe clue us in on how you maintain/clean/ sanitize your bottles.

Also, the amount of sugar used to prime sounds good but did you weigh it or measure by volume? the former is much more accurate. Also, was it a full finished volume of 2.5 gallons or possibly less causing the over carbonation possibility.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 07:42:29 pm »
Getting this train back on the rails.......

IME, and I have been bottling for a long time, it's typically the bottles and/or caps and not the equipment. My thoughts on this are that the first several/many bottles were fine but they may have been consumed early enough.

Usually if it's the equipment infections so up quicker so the early bottles would have had some sour to them as well, not just the last. I would evaluate your bottle/cleaning/sanitizing process here first before tossing a bunch of equipment just because. Maybe clue us in on how you maintain/clean/ sanitize your bottles.

Also, the amount of sugar used to prime sounds good but did you weigh it or measure by volume? the former is much more accurate. Also, was it a full finished volume of 2.5 gallons or possibly less causing the over carbonation possibility.
Thanks for the response. I too thought about the bottles. I have to admit, often times I store my empties simply sitting on a shelf in the closet with my brewing equipment. I typically rinse them we'll when I pour a beer and rinse them again right before bottling. For sanitizing, I use a spray bottle and spray starsan into the bottle and then let them drain in a fast rack., usually 4 or 5 sprays. One of the things I've been mulling over is some bad advice I read in a forum about oxy caps. Some don't sanitize cause it supposedly messes with the oxy seal. I used this process for a short while. Now I pull the caps out of the bag and dip them into starsan then cap. I honestly don't remember when I started sanitizing them but it may possibly have been after the batch in question. I also don't go to great lengths to store the caps in an airtight bag or anything. I may have been shooting myself in the foot there too.
As far as carbing, I do weigh using a gram scale and I try hard to be sure of the volume I'm carbing. Any things possible, but I'm pretty confident the carbing amounts are good. My plan for the next batch is to soak my bottles in PBW a day or two, before bottling and then rinse again with water as well as hitting them with starsan. I wonder if I need to starsan me more than I am?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 07:46:17 pm by swlusk »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 08:01:46 pm »
If I'm understanding correctly... You're rinsing the bottles after drinking, storing, rinsing, and sanitizing? I'd add another step here between rinses. Actually I'd eliminate the second rinse if your bottles aren't exposed to dust. But once you gather about a case of dirty bottles (bottles that have been rinsed after drinking), you should give them a nice soak in some oxiclean over night. Then rinse, dry, and stash in the "clean" stack of bottles. Then hit them again with starsan before bottling.

I'm going to probably say your infection occurred in the bottles.
Frank

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2014, 08:14:06 pm »
If I'm understanding correctly... You're rinsing the bottles after drinking, storing, rinsing, and sanitizing? I'd add another step here between rinses. Actually I'd eliminate the second rinse if your bottles aren't exposed to dust. But once you gather about a case of dirty bottles (bottles that have been rinsed after drinking), you should give them a nice soak in some oxiclean over night. Then rinse, dry, and stash in the "clean" stack of bottles. Then hit them again with starsan before bottling.

ii think that is a very real possibility.its sad to say, up u til now I've been lazy with bottle cleaning. I soaked my next bat h of bottles a day ago for about 45 min in PBW then stored them in a fast rack, covered with a clean plastic bag. Tomorrow when I bottle I'll starsan them good. Is it ok to dip oxy caps or is it better to soak them for a few minutes I wonder. Thanks for the info!
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2014, 08:20:27 pm »

ii think that is a very real possibility.its sad to say, up u til now I've been lazy with bottle cleaning. I soaked my next bat h of bottles a day ago for about 45 min in PBW then stored them in a fast rack, covered with a clean plastic bag. Tomorrow when I bottle I'll starsan them good. Is it ok to dip oxy caps or is it better to soak them for a few minutes I wonder. Thanks for the info!

I've never used PBW, but it's made for that, so you should be good to go. As far as caps go, I fill a bowl up with starsan and put my caps in it throughout the bottling process. I'm not sure if it's good or bad, but it's what I've always done.
Frank

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 08:15:24 am »
I treat my caps the same way as Frank. I have a small bowl of starsan and a small mesh screen. I dip the caps and then fish them out with the screen and keep the bowl next to me as I bottle.

I doubt the caps were the problem though.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 10:00:44 am »

Ok, then advise as to your cleaning and sanitizing routine - prolonged PBW soak?

Really nothing unusual, except maybe a longer soak.

As soon as I finish bottling whatever I'm bottling I immediately get in and start cleaning. It's far easier to get everything clean while it's still wet. There's no time for brett to cough up a biofilm and hide itself. Hot water rinse and if there is visible debris on/in the equipment then I scrub with a soft sponge or for my one gallon glass jugs I use a bottle brush. Soap is used if there's a lot of debris. Then rinse several times, fill with hot water and mix in oxyclean. I let it soak for a week and then dump, rinse several times and let dry. Then I sanitize with starsan before the next use.

Some comments above discussed possible infections in the bottles. That is certainly likely although I would compare infected bottles side by side and see how similar the infection is in taste and aroma. I would be surprised if an entire collection of 40 or whatever number of bottles had the exact same wild yeast or bacteria.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 10:18:58 am »

Really nothing unusual, except maybe a longer soak.

As soon as I finish bottling whatever I'm bottling I immediately get in and start cleaning. It's far easier to get everything clean while it's still wet. There's no time for brett to cough up a biofilm and hide itself. Hot water rinse and if there is visible debris on/in the equipment then I scrub with a soft sponge or for my one gallon glass jugs I use a bottle brush. Soap is used if there's a lot of debris. Then rinse several times, fill with hot water and mix in oxyclean. I let it soak for a week and then dump, rinse several times and let dry. Then I sanitize with starsan before the next use.

Some comments above discussed possible infections in the bottles. That is certainly likely although I would compare infected bottles side by side and see how similar the infection is in taste and aroma. I would be surprised if an entire collection of 40 or whatever number of bottles had the exact same wild yeast or bacteria.

A whole week in oxyclean?  Does oxyclean continue to work after a few days?

As to bottle versus other source of the infection - agreed that if all are suffering the same problem, then it very well would point to hose or bucket contamination.  I took it to mean that just a few bottles were affected by the infection....sounds like it might be the dreaded acetobacter.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"