Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Optic Malt ESB  (Read 1975 times)

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
Optic Malt ESB
« on: March 14, 2014, 08:39:27 pm »
Has anyone ever used Optic Malt for an ESB? Thinking 85% of the grist with some crystal and torrified wheat and WLp 028 Edinburgh yeast

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Optic Malt ESB
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 10:49:47 pm »
Not yet, but it's been on my list to try. I've been wanting to try side-by-sides with Optic, Halcyon, MO, and GP. Your plan looks like a good one to me.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 06:25:04 am »
Not yet, but it's been on my list to try. I've been wanting to try side-by-sides with Optic, Halcyon, MO, and GP. Your plan looks like a good one to me.
Don't forget Pearl malt.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 10:54:58 am »
I've got a sack of Pearl coming through my club group buy. Looking forward to it. I wonder how much difference there really is between all of those malts though. It has to be pretty, miniscule, right?
Jesse

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 11:03:04 am »
I have an ESB fermenting with ~94% T.F. Optic, I did a grain taste comparison with Perle and much preferred the optic. Think I'll take a reading this afternoon and get a taste sample. It was also my first time using First Gold hops so very curious how it turned out.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 11:34:58 am »
I've got a sack of Pearl coming through my club group buy. Looking forward to it. I wonder how much difference there really is between all of those malts though. It has to be pretty, miniscule, right?
All have that British flavor, but some differences.

Pearl is the base malt in Heady Topper, FWTIW.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 09:38:24 am »

I don't know. we're talking about totally different varieties of barley. does a mcintosh taste like a granny smith except for miniscule differences? I mean they are both apples but they are not the same apple.

take it further, try a nice heirloom apple against a red (not all that)delicious and really experience a difference.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:07:31 am »

I don't know. we're talking about totally different varieties of barley. does a mcintosh taste like a granny smith except for miniscule differences? I mean they are both apples but they are not the same apple.

take it further, try a nice heirloom apple against a red (not all that)delicious and really experience a difference.

One day I was asking my LHBSer about different malts and he said to me, "just eat some and decide for yourself". It's not a definite indicator of finished flavor or yield but I find it very helpful for determining personal preference.  Whenever I'm at the shop I munch a few grains either to try something new or compare a few against each other. I realize a lot of folks have supplies delivered but just saying, if you get the opportunity.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 10:14:55 am »

One day I was asking my LHBSer about different malts and he said to me, "just eat some and decide for yourself". It's not a definite indicator of finished flavor or yield but I find it very helpful for determining personal preference.  Whenever I'm at the shop I munch a few grains either to try something new or compare a few against each other. I realize a lot of folks have supplies delivered but just saying, if you get the opportunity.

+1 to tasting.
Jon H.