Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bell's Recipes from July/August 2003  (Read 1974 times)

Offline fizgig

• 1st Kit
Bell's Recipes from July/August 2003
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:06:04 pm »
I'm looking at these recipes just as a reference point as I usually build my own recipes with some inspiration from parts of other recipes and what I know about brewing ingredients and what I like to drink. These recipes seem really incomplete, has anyone attempted them? 

For example, the Oberon recipe has 2 row and wheat as the only malts, if anyone has seen Oberon, it looks and tastes like it has some crystal (40L?) in it.  The 2 hearted has 2.5 ounces of hops, 1oz @ 60, 1oz @ 20, and .5oz dry hop, that seems really low.  I've seen a second 2 hearted recipe supposedly from Bells with 1.2oz @ 45, 1.2 @ 30 and 3.5oz dry hop and the malt recipe was crystal 40 and pale malt instead of crystal 20 and munich.  The Double Cream Stout has 10lbs Munich, 1lb Flaked Barley, 1lb Roasted Barley, the sell sheet says it has 10 kinds of malt in it. 

I'm just curious if anyone has brewed them, because from what I know from building recipes and drinking beer, these don't even seem close to the mark.  I realize the article is 11 years old, but these beers all still taste the same to me now as they did in college, I don't imagine the recipes have changed much.