Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Allagash White clone?  (Read 13921 times)

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
Allagash White clone?
« on: March 16, 2014, 08:37:35 am »
I really want to brew a recipe similar to Allagash White, since I can't get it where I live. Has anyone given this a shot? Would you want to share your recipe?

Being in Colorado, I don't have the commercial example to taste and try to pick apart. Any tips or recipes are appreciated!

Thanks,
Duncan
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Allagash White clone?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 09:23:17 am »
Hey DUncan,

Funny you ask, I am setting up to brew this late this week for the third time and I think it's pretty close. The only change I made this time around is to use Nelson hops instead of the original Saaz. The original two batches I brewed were with Saaz and I think the beer was really pretty close to the Allagash White. I wanted to experiment with the Nelson this time around so that was the switch.

here you go:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 9.02 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.02 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.25 gal   
Bottling Volume: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 3.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 86.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5 lbs 8.0 oz          Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)            Grain         1        51.8 %       
5 lbs                 Wheat - White Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM)    Grain         2        47.1 %       
1.8 oz                Acidulated (Weyermann) (1.8 SRM)         Grain         3        1.0 %         
0.50 oz               Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min           Hop           4        12.5 IBUs     
0.50 oz               Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min        Hop           5        4.3 IBUs     
0.31 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)              Fining        6        -             
0.50 tbsp             Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)          Other         7        -             
0.50 oz               Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min   Hop           8        3.7 IBUs     
2.00 oz               Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 mins)      Spice         9        -             
0.75 oz               Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins)           Spice         10       -             
1.0 pkg               Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944) [124 Yeast         11       -             

Mash Schedule: Double Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 9.8 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Protein Rest      Add 2.64 gal of water at 131.2 F        122.0 F       30 min       
Saccharification  Add 2.12 gal of water at 196.1 F        152.0 F       30 min       

Sparge: Fly sparge with 5.78 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:

Just note my batch size is not typical so you might need to scale up or down, I also get 80% efficiency so adjust for that as well and I recommend a starter for the yeast for proper pitch rate. I also pitch cold, like 60 and simply allow fermentation to rise by itself throughout.

The acidulated malt is for mash pH adjustment, your water may vary so plan accordingly.

I't a mighty tasty brew. Let me know your thoughts if you brew this!

Gary
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 10:22:51 am »
I think there is a recipe in Brewing with Wheat but can't find my book right now.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 10:43:19 am »
I think there is a recipe in Brewing with Wheat but can't find my book right now.

There is and that is where I began generating this recipe from originally as well as cross referencing with their website and a couple traded emails from their brewer about 2 years ago I think. From there I tweaked a bit doing a few side by sides.

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:34:51 am »
Awesome, thanks guys! I hadn't thought of looking in the Wheat book...

I think I am going to try your recipe, Duboman, next weekend. Once it's ready to taste, I'll let you know how it comes out! Hopefully I can scrounge up a bottle of Allagash White to do a side by side.

-d
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 12:58:01 pm »

Awesome, thanks guys! I hadn't thought of looking in the Wheat book...

I think I am going to try your recipe, Duboman, next weekend. Once it's ready to taste, I'll let you know how it comes out! Hopefully I can scrounge up a bottle of Allagash White to do a side by side.

-d
very cool! hope you like it:)