Author Topic: WLP530 vs. WLP545?  (Read 1576 times)

Offline ultravista

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: WLP530 vs. WLP545?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 07:33:46 PM »
I made a mistake, sorry all. White's equivalent of Ardennes is 510, not 545 ...

3522 - Belgian Ardennes Yeast --> WLP510 Belgian Bastone Ale Yeast

Apparently 510 is only available on Jan/Feb.

Other comparison charts state 550 or 545. I'm confused ....
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:35:43 PM by ultravista »

Offline Joe Sr.

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 07:42:45 PM »
I made a mistake too. I get banana from Rochefort not from Westmalle.

Westmalle I get more spice/clove but still quite different from Ardennes. Ardennes, to me, is quite unique.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline ultravista

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 07:48:41 PM »
Then is 545 the correct White strain, a replacement for Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes?

Offline Joe Sr.

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 07:06:43 AM »
I've always relied on the Kristen England chart on Mr.Malty.  He says 550 = 3522.  I have no personal experience with White Labs yeast.

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline ultravista

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 07:22:23 AM »
I emailed White Labs last night.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
Denny - do you get a tart spiciness from DFH Raison D'etre?

It's been so long since I've had one I can't recall.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline ultravista

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 09:00:34 AM »
I don't get much Belgian out of the Raison D'Etre. My recent batches of Westy 12 have elevated my taste for Belgians. I do like Raison though.

What I really want to try next is Lost Abbey's Judgment Day. Tomme A. was kind enough to provide a baseline recipe and enough info to get started.

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 09:35:55 AM »
Definitely more of a spicy character and a lower fruitiness at higher temps.

I think we're contradicting each other, Ron.  I was saying that at low temps I get more spice and less fruit.   You seem to be saying you get that at higher temps.  Is that right?

Sorry...I misinterpreted your post. We are indeed in contradiction with each other. Doesn't happen very often, but stranger things have happened.  :)
Ron Price

Online denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 09:47:33 AM »
Sorry...I misinterpreted your post. We are indeed in contradiction with each other. Doesn't happen very often, but stranger things have happened.  :)

well, as long as you admit you're wrong....;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline wsoublo

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 03:37:35 PM »
What I really want to try next is Lost Abbey's Judgment Day. Tomme A. was kind enough to provide a baseline recipe and enough info to get started.

Care to share?

Offline chumley

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 05:05:08 PM »
To clarify what I have said, I agree that the two yeasts in question are different.  Are they different enough to care about when you are brewing what you are brewing?  No, I don't think so.  In fact, I rarely think that is the case unless you are brewing something completely different than the yeast in question.

I guess you just have to look at what you want to accomplish as a brewer.  Denny is a BJCP style nazi who wants to emulate commercial beers to the best of his ability. I am a laid back homebrewer, more in the Papazian mode, who wants to brew beer that tastes good, without caring how close I come to a style.

If you want to brew a raisony flavored Belgian, I would probably vote for "neither of the above" and go with the plummy goodness of WLP500.  But, being cheap, I would probably just use the existing yeast cake and roll with the flow. Because, as long as it tastes good, I don't care about matching a commercial beer.

Offline ultravista

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 07:04:25 PM »
From White Labs:

The WLP545 was cultivated from the Ardennes region, so that would likely be your most authentic for the style. The WLP530 is more a Trappist ale yeast. It will likely be a bit less dry than the 545 and have less spice. It will probably be a little fruitier, but should flocculate a little better as well.

In either case you should be able to make a close representation with the WLP530. It is still in the same "Ball Park"

Cheers

Online denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 08:33:38 AM »
To clarify what I have said, I agree that the two yeasts in question are different.  Are they different enough to care about when you are brewing what you are brewing?  No, I don't think so.  In fact, I rarely think that is the case unless you are brewing something completely different than the yeast in question.

I guess you just have to look at what you want to accomplish as a brewer.  Denny is a BJCP style nazi who wants to emulate commercial beers to the best of his ability. I am a laid back homebrewer, more in the Papazian mode, who wants to brew beer that tastes good, without caring how close I come to a style.

If you want to brew a raisony flavored Belgian, I would probably vote for "neither of the above" and go with the plummy goodness of WLP500.  But, being cheap, I would probably just use the existing yeast cake and roll with the flow. Because, as long as it tastes good, I don't care about matching a commercial beer.

C'mon, chumley, that's a bit harsh!  I want what I want, whether it conforms to style or not.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chumley

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2014, 09:14:26 AM »
Agreed....change that to "BJCP style fascist"   :D

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2014, 09:36:43 AM »

well, as long as you admit you're wrong....;)

hmmm...good try Denny...but no cigar.  ;)  ;D
Ron Price